http://mashable.com/2009/10/10/facebook-poke-arrest/

In a society that has become as litigious as ours, this was inevitable. If you read the link above you will find out that a woman has been charged with violating an order of protection for poking someone on Facebook. If found guilty, the woman could get a month in jail and a $2,500 fine. Based on the court order the logic behind the charge is solid but this is sad from the point of a view that we have become so sensitive that we will sue for anything at the drop of a hat. While I am on facebook I am not an expert but I thought that if you blocked someone they could not contact you. Am I wrong on this?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Wow - this is scary. I really thought that on Facebook, only friends could poke you. Thus, this lawsuit represents a new realm of legal liability cases - liability for online behavior. I am afraid this type of lawsuits will cause a slippery slope. What do you think? What's next - being sued for sending a virtual gift?

Wow - this is scary. I really thought that on Facebook, only friends could poke you. Thus, this lawsuit represents a new realm of legal liability cases - liability for online behavior. I am afraid this type of lawsuits will cause a slippery slope. What do you think? What's next - being sued for sending a virtual gift?

How about being sued for sexual harrasment for sending a winking emoticon. Sounds idiotic and ridiculous but we are living in an age where inmates are suing prisons because they are getting oatmeal cookies as a snack when they wanted chocolate chip (and yes, this did happen!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.