I saw a report that Hollywood Studios (both movies and TV) and the agencies that manage celebrities are trying to crack down on celebrities tweeting for fear of news getting out that the studios might want to use for publicity at a better time. Personally, I think that as industry after industry tries to crack down on tweeting they are going to encourage more people to get on twitter to see what is going on. This can only benefit the people who created Twitter if they ever go public. What do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Read on Mashable that the first two celebrities to be banned from using facebook, twitter or any other social media app contactually are Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz to keep them from revealing any secrets about the new Shrek Movie. I wonder if certain industries (finance, pharma, IT) will follow Hollywood's lead and start asking incoming employees to contractually agree to limitations or monitoring of social media to protect corporate secrets? Why not, there are non-compete clauses and non-disclosure agreements that some industries require employees to sign.

This makes sense. Unfortunately tho, I think corporate censorship will discourage a lot of the free thinking and unwieldy comments you see in these new social venues. I'm sure a lot of people will hold back, post less, or abandon social media all together out of fear of breaching some sort of contract. It's a shame really..

This makes sense. Unfortunately tho, I think corporate censorship will discourage a lot of the free thinking and unwieldy comments you see in these new social venues. I'm sure a lot of people will hold back, post less, or abandon social media all together out of fear of breaching some sort of contract. It's a shame really..

I think for people in non-entertainment forms of business, you are right. But for the entertainment industry and probably sports, the people in those arenas will come to realize that there is value to holding back and they will not mind the contractual restrictions. After all, if someone in the cast of SAW MMMCCCLXXXVIII tweets the subtle plot twists, no one will go to see it!;)

Tweeting is the modern day version of "putting your foot in your mouth" or being a chit-chatter or providing "inside information". Thus, companies, especially financial and pharma companies do have very strict rules regarding releasing information. So I can just imagine the consequences...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.