Just wondering what everyone else is thinking. Due to the ongoing economic situation and the fact that the stimulus has been a bust (unless of course you are working for the government!), I think more people will look to pay cash rather than use credit. Even with paypal and the use of debit cards online, I think it will be a 50-50 split.

Slow down everyone! If you all try to vote at once you will crash the servers!

As a business person who has two brick and mortar locations I find that in the field of photography, event planning, computer servicing and fresh floral designs over the past 7 years the web and the streets have become symbiotic. My quest now is to try the "web only" arena as I evolve in the marketplace. Who wouldn't want to make money while sleeping or in your underwear at the kitchen table?
However..what the brick and mortar does do is establish a credibility with prospects and leads that a "web only" concern can't quite accomplish.
However this is not to say the B&M factor is necessary. After a few years of refining keywords, updating content ( content will always be king) and nothing short of "stellar" customer service if selling goods and products on line...I think there will always be room for a web based biz to flourish if the communication lines between buyer and seller remain open, professional and responsive.
I am of the belief that the web will never be saturated or overloaded with folks looking to make a buck. It's the folks looking to make a quick buck that is the real problem.
Business is business....no matter in a B&M store, a virtual store, the back of a comic book or in an envelope using snail mail as the primary source of contact. What ALL buyers look for today is what they always looked for in the past. Quality, Spot on Customer Service and the fulfillment of their needs.

Provide those three things and no matter where and no matter what...success is no pun intended " virtually" assured.

It's a simple concept doing business...."find out what folks want...and provide it for them...BUT...patients, persistance, dedication, integrity and a high degree of professionalism combined with loving what you do...this is a recipe for success that cooks up every time.

Ben Michalski

As a business person who has two brick and mortar locations I find that in the field of photography, event planning, computer servicing and fresh floral designs over the past 7 years the web and the streets have become symbiotic. My quest now is to try the "web only" arena as I evolve in the marketplace. Who wouldn't want to make money while sleeping or in your underwear at the kitchen table?
However..what the brick and mortar does do is establish a credibility with prospects and leads that a "web only" concern can't quite accomplish.
However this is not to say the B&M factor is necessary. After a few years of refining keywords, updating content ( content will always be king) and nothing short of "stellar" customer service if selling goods and products on line...I think there will always be room for a web based biz to flourish if the communication lines between buyer and seller remain open, professional and responsive.
I am of the belief that the web will never be saturated or overloaded with folks looking to make a buck. It's the folks looking to make a quick buck that is the real problem.
Business is business....no matter in a B&M store, a virtual store, the back of a comic book or in an envelope using snail mail as the primary source of contact. What ALL buyers look for today is what they always looked for in the past. Quality, Spot on Customer Service and the fulfillment of their needs.

Provide those three things and no matter where and no matter what...success is no pun intended " virtually" assured.

It's a simple concept doing business...."find out what folks want...and provide it for them...BUT...patients, persistance, dedication, integrity and a high degree of professionalism combined with loving what you do...this is a recipe for success that cooks up every time.

Ben Michalski

Nicely put. Thanks for the insights.

Glad to be of service! Ben:)

I just spoke to a friend who is thinking of selling spices and seasonings from Jamaica on line but he is also looking at setting up a brick and mortar store front as he feels that most of the local business will come from people who will want to make the trip to Long Island and possibly see cooking demos using the products.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.