Hi

We have nearly finalised a gym free fitness program in a handy, compact form, running to level1 - level 4. It is inspired by the defunct 1950-1980 5BX program.

The weakness in a progam like this, is the individual can feel isolated and lose motivation and not achieve the goals they would like to.

In brief:

I would like to see a way for those who do the program, to go to 'a place' where they can find others who are maybe doing it in their area and chat and maybe meet up to form their own 'physical' groups to help with their motivation levels.

What do people suggest on this?

Thanks
Chris

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

To clarify my request - Do I set up a group in a social media online service called 'Our fitness program' and give that as an option to those who start the program?

I have been designing websites full time now for over 12 years but have never dabbled in social media.

BTW my question was lousy grammar! Is this concept should be ....Does this concept :>

Cheers
Chris

Seems like a good concept. First, i think you need to get a lot of people, in general, to sign up for the program and establish a community. Then, i think you can encourage your users to meet up with others in their area and workout.

You can use social media tools to help spread the word about the program and maybe you can act as the organizer to get people to meet in person, but i would ultimately keep your site as the main hub for the community to engage other users and participate in discussions.

Long time ago, I created a similar project and I used meetup.com to launch the program and this way I centered events around the fitness program. At first, I had people and then it died off. You need to always keep building and sustaining those relationships.

Thanks for the reply Jay

but i would ultimately keep your site as the main hub for the community to engage other users and participate in discussions.

I guess you are suggesting a forum to do this on the upcoming website. Users will be global as we have a mailing list waiting for the release of the program stretching New Zealand to UK?

Cheers
Chris

Thanks

Long time ago, I created a similar project and I used meetup.com to launch the program and this way I centered events around the fitness program. At first, I had people and then it died off. You need to always keep building and sustaining those relationships.

That looks like a distinct possibility for off our website group building.
Looking further into that strategy now.

Cheers

Right on! Meetup.com could definitely be useful for this. I guess i'm just confused on what the Rev model is here. Where do users go to sign up or purchase the program and is there greater value for them to contribute to your own site or to just use a site like Meetup? Or can you do both?

Right on! Meetup.com could definitely be useful for this. I guess i'm just confused on what the Rev model is here. Where do users go to sign up or purchase the program and is there greater value for them to contribute to your own site or to just use a site like Meetup? Or can you do both?

Hi Jay

Having thought about it over the weekend (I am waiting for a reply back from Meetup), on our website I want to [eventually] generate interest for some people to become organisers for an area and then either I would setup a Meetup area for them to develop on their own - or build a program that will do the basics that Meetup offer and host on my own site.

More control on the second option, keeps them on the site but there is that build-cost factor I have to consider.

Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.