Hi,

I have been asked to make a ecommerce website as cheap as poss.
The website will contain clothes etc but also will have adult material.
The iseal cart to use would be oscommerce but due to the nature of some of the product, I can't use paypal. Does anyone know a similar payment system to Paypal the doesn't require a merchant account but does allow adult material?

Many thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

where r your business incorporated? if you are in Europe you I think possibly chronopay can accept it subject to their user policy and term & condition, however I am not sure.

Thanks a lot wilson2.
I 'm based in the UK and I shall look into it :)

Hi,

I have been asked to make a ecommerce website as cheap as poss.
The website will contain clothes etc but also will have adult material.
The iseal cart to use would be oscommerce but due to the nature of some of the product, I can't use paypal. Does anyone know a similar payment system to Paypal the doesn't require a merchant account but does allow adult material?

Many thanks.

Why would you not want to get a merchant account?

Why would you not want to get a merchant account?

Are they not more expensive?
Does it cost to get one from their bank and SSL certificate etc.
To be honest, I really don't know much about ecommerce.
What excatly do you need for a full ecommerce website?

Thanks

Are they not more expensive?
Does it cost to get one from their bank and SSL certificate etc.
To be honest, I really don't know much about ecommerce.
What excatly do you need for a full ecommerce website?

Thanks

This is all dependent on your business model (what do you sell, and how do you charge for it), your monthly volumes, the average ticket (size of transaction), etc.....

Depending on those answers you might want to look at a direct merchant account, a thrid party processor, or an e-wallet, etc....

This is all dependent on your business model (what do you sell, and how do you charge for it), your monthly volumes, the average ticket (size of transaction), etc.....

Depending on those answers you might want to look at a direct merchant account, a thrid party processor, or an e-wallet, etc....

A third party processor would be something like Paypal I assume?
Would this method be the shortest short term solution?

A third party processor would be something like Paypal I assume?
Would this method be the shortest short term solution?

Well, yes, and no. Paypal is more of an e-wallet system. A Third Party processor, (also known as an IPSP), utilizes a mastermerchant account, that you would have a sub account with. They provide all of the features that you need to run your site, but are more expensive that direct merchant accounts.

Examples of that include ccbill EU, verotel, etc...

If you would like, you can contact me for more advice regarding your particular business model. Paypal has certain restrictions, as do third party processors, and there are some people that are adverse to dealing with a merchant that only uses paypal....

I would be happy to help you out with this, and try to steer you in the right direction.

All in all though, if you are just starting out, going with a third party processor of some type is probably your best bet.

Well, yes, and no. Paypal is more of an e-wallet system. A Third Party processor, (also known as an IPSP), utilizes a mastermerchant account, that you would have a sub account with. They provide all of the features that you need to run your site, but are more expensive that direct merchant accounts.

Examples of that include ccbill EU, verotel, etc...

If you would like, you can contact me for more advice regarding your particular business model. Paypal has certain restrictions, as do third party processors, and there are some people that are adverse to dealing with a merchant that only uses paypal....

I would be happy to help you out with this, and try to steer you in the right direction.

All in all though, if you are just starting out, going with a third party processor of some type is probably your best bet.

Thanks very much for your reply.
I just re-read my message and was mean't to say is Paypal the 'cheapest' short term solution.
I'm making a website for someone, with no knowledge of ecommerce.
I would like to use Oscommerce and a gateway that supports adult content, mags and toys etc. - nothing illegal.
I know what you mean by some people being put off by Paypal.
I have bookmarked your site, so any help would be great.
Thanks.

I would suggest you look at 2Checkout. PayPal and 2Checkout are just simply a payment system that uses a web interface.

If you are looking for a checkout system that is integrated into the site, with no redirection for customers to have to go to and checkout, like paypal redirecting to their site, then you need a merchant account.

I would suggest Authorize.net if within the u.s. it is the authority on merchant accounts, allows for downloads into quickbooks, makes checkout sytems transparent on the web. Chronopay is a solution if you sell in europe, but basically the same thing.

If I am not wrong, ChronoPay has international network that provides a turnkey e-commerce solution.

As I do Paypal worldwide, but is only available to persons over 18. Your customers are going for the cards - this is how the Internet works. 14 + debit cards for kids these days have multiple bank accounts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.