Hi I am a amatuer web designer working in web design company and I was wondering if you surf the web , you visit sites and like their design and set up are you allow to built a site of your own copying the other web sites design. I don't mean copying exactly pixel for pixel / code for code but very close different colors and minor changes to design.. is this legal or does it break some standard of web designs?
:( :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by HI2Japan

They can file a DMCA complaint , your web host will take down your site, if you are using adsense , you will get banned for copyright violations ,etc , Better create a design yourself.

I was under the impression that you can't copyright a design. With CSS and scripts thats a different thing, but if you happen to have the same layout via HTML then that is no problem. Were you thinking of using the same graphics or just a similar idea (as in how their menu bars work etc). I wouldnt recommend copying a design becuase originality is what will help attract attention but it never hurts to see what other people have done to inspire yourself.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.