I am new to your forum and hope I have found a place of help and refuge from the deadly IE6. I am a graphic designer also responsible for all our website design, so a lot of what I do is learn as you go. I design on a proper computer (a MAC) and browse in a real browser (Firefox), however for some silly reason there are folks out there that refuse to do it my way. He He!!
So it seems I must deal with the deadly IE6 whether I want to or not.
I am using buttons to show hide layers. Really simple stuff but when you click the buttons in ie the page jumps so you can't see the header anymore and the customer insists that the header be visible at all times.
Help Please!

url is
homesbydaycore.com

the problem is on the home page with the
Mission Experience People Home
buttons.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

moved.

I'm on IE6 currently browsing your pathetic oldfashion design :) but I don't see anything jumping or or disapearing from the page. Clciknga all [msison experience people... nor when clicking sidebarlinks home about us showcase and similar ] It gest drown almost exactly the same in both of them browsers, except that in firefox when i click "showcasse" instead of opening your swf it gets downloaded! and very jupy because it is invoking another instance of IE to show its content hahahaa
silly
but this might have to do something with my custom setting in FX.

Nice work. And it's rendering fine in ie6 to.

I'm on IE6 currently browsing your pathetic oldfashion design :) but I don't see anything jumping or or disapearing from the page. Clciknga all [msison experience people... nor when clicking sidebarlinks home about us showcase and similar ] It gest drown almost exactly the same in both of them browsers, except that in firefox when i click "showcasse" instead of opening your swf it gets downloaded! and very jupy because it is invoking another instance of IE to show its content hahahaa
silly
but this might have to do something with my custom setting in FX.

Nice work. And it's rendering fine in ie6 to.

Hi Troy
Sorry you find my work so pathetic. It is difficult to learn so many new skill sets when your real skill is design. I don't just do web, I design the logos, the pocket folders, the web sites, the signage, and for some of our developers I do design for the homes. Our site marketingcompany.ca will give you some idea of the number of skills required. So as a new web developer (only two years building sites) I have to learn by the seat of my pants as there is no tie to take classes. Any help you provide is much appreciated. I am still not happy with the way this site works. All of the trouble stems from having texture in the background and requiring transparency to get the look of the site the way the client wants it. Not complicated at all designing for Firefox but ie6 has difficulties with the transparency so I try and find ways to work around that and most of the time I end up screwing something else up. I admit my newness and appreciate any help or suggestions you have to offer. I have tried something new on the about page but it is still not working correctly in ie 6. If you have a minute and care to take and look and recommend another solution (other than the iFrame) I would be most appreciative.
(ps. and if you ever need help with your spelling or grammar I would be more than happy to help. LOL)

This problem is really two common ones:

- You can't control where the browser leaves the viewport after you change the visible page contents. The web was not designed for pages that change size after they are rendered. The location of the viewport after such an operation is defined by the browser software. You could use JavaScript to put the focus on some element at the top after changing the visibility of items.

Your customer has no control over what browser software does. What he wants and what the browser does are two different things.

- Transparency and the z axis are not well implemented yet.

Normally stuff is supposed to be INSIDE other stuff, not under a transparent object, and not on top of another object.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.