Hello fellow members,

I'm a beginner at html and would love to get suggestions on how to practice and learn more about html coding. Are there any useful books? Websites/resources? Any suggestions on how to start? I'm primarily interested on developing a website from scratch(or semi-scratch XD) through html. I want to be able to gain enough skills to modify/change/fix html coding from a existing or non-existing page.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

If i were you i would check out some tutorials on Netuts. The way i learned was to look at full website tutorials like this one and just learn from there.

Other sites to look at for the extreme basics are

HTML
XHTML
CSS

All you need is a good reference that provides brief information about the (X)HTML available tags, attribute usage and including live examples...

< Learn Here! >

You guys are awesome, will definitely look up those websites. Thanks you <3

Keep the suggestions coming!

w3schools.com is one of the best sites on the net! I can think of a couple good authors for coding books. I like books by david powers but most of them are about PHP. He has a new one coming out this fall all about CSS. He makes PHP really simple to understand so I'm pretty sure his CSS book will be easy also.

I don't think it's very hard. Believe in yourself. The following is my experience to learn to make a website, hope it helps you.

1. Learn the html basic html code for editing text, such as
add a hyperlink: <a href=""></a>
blod: <b></b> <strong></strong>
Enter: </br> </p>

2. Learn CSS+DIV to know how a webpage display in IE.

3. Learn the basic Javascript code.

I think these are enough for a basic website editor. BTW, you need to learn Dreamwaver and Photoshop. You always need to use them.

Hope it helps !

I think these are enough for a basic website editor. BTW, you need to learn Dreamwaver and Photoshop. You always need to use them.

Hope it helps !

Let's not make this harder than necessary (And some people do find it difficult). Nether Dreamweaver nor Photoshop are necessary to create a web site.

I don't think it's very hard. Believe in yourself. The following is my experience to learn to make a website, hope it helps you.

1. Learn the html basic html code for editing text, such as
add a hyperlink: <a href=""></a>
blod: <b></b> <strong></strong>
Enter: </br> </p>

2. Learn CSS+DIV to know how a webpage display in IE.

3. Learn the basic Javascript code.

Hope it helps !

I do actually know some of the basic ones -- ones you know from ~replying to threads without pressing the buttons~ XD

My plan is actually to learn HTML and CSS this summer. And I'm actually in the process of brushing up on my photoshop skills, just need to find good tutorials on blending, extracting images, etc.

Since everyone here has been extremely helpful, thanks guys! I've ran into a problem. I've created a css document through notepad but can't seem to view if the codes I'm writing are working. (I'm trying to view the file through IE ...I can't do that? Do I need to download a new program just to see what my code does? )

It depends on where the file is. Is it an external Style sheet?
If so, you'll need to include the path to the file and or folder.

Since everyone here has been extremely helpful, thanks guys! I've ran into a problem. I've created a css document through notepad but can't seem to view if the codes I'm writing are working. (I'm trying to view the file through IE ...I can't do that? Do I need to download a new program just to see what my code does? )

The html file and css file have to be in the same location...that is unless you have them in the same folder.

Example:

Html is in File -> Website
Then the CSS file has to be in the file called Website.

Then link it in the HTML like so:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="Website.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

Easy as that, it wont work when the Html and CSS are in two different files/directories/whatever you want to call it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.