Hello! Being new to this forum I havent throughly browsed through the individual threads but would appreciate it if someone could check the coding used for my Flash portfolio.
I have compiled the pages individually and saved them under different file name suchs as creativeportolio, to identify them more easily. There are four buttons which have added some code which link to the appropriate page. The problem is when testing the finished file flash seems to play all the pages all at once, without stopping even when taking the loop off? How can I stop the pages from jumping so that the user has to click on a button in order for it to carry on? Also I would like to bring all the pages together so I can test it. I have tried linking them
through individual scenes but, doesnt seem to work. Also when testing the links , when the mouse is placed near to the button it shows its ready to be clicked but nothing happens, only until the enter button is pressed?

Here is the coding for one page of one button;

onclick (release) {
	gotoAndStop(keyframe3);
      }

The coding is pretty much the same for every other button.
Would greatly appreciate any help..
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Member Avatar for rajarajan2017

Below is the code but what is that onClick:

on (release) {
	gotoAndStop(4);
}

I think when you publish the file it is not shown any error, then you can give a code: stop() in frame which you have all the buttons.

Hope this helps! If not solved attach your file for the reference.

I am still having the problem of getting flash to stop at individual frames, even though I have added gotoandstop(2); for every command of button. Also when testing the movie when a button is selected the mouse over appears but nothing happens when clicked on only when enter is pressed. Finally I would like to combine all flash files onto one timeline but flash doesnt recognize each portfolio page as individual components therefore making it unable to make features interactive such as buttons?

Flash coding for all the buttons.

onclick(release) {
	Gotoandstop("keyframe4");
}

Any remedies?
Much appreciated..

I gave you someother code above, did you tested with that? Anyway please attach your file here. You will get the solution.

Yes I have tried the code you have suggested and it does the same thing as the original code entered.
Also here is the coding for one of the pages of my portfolio for the buttons.

blue button : onclick (release) {
	gotoAndStop(keyframe3);
      }

orange button : onclick (release){
	gotoAndStop("keyframe3");
	}

yellow button : onclick (release){
	gotoAndStop("keyframe3");
	}

The same coding goes for the rest of the other pages.

Mr flashadvise,

Really this code will not help anybody to give you the solution. You using AS2.0? the code looks very different for me. This is not the way of writing codes in AS2.0 thats why I am asking you to attach your files. Please attach the files. I will look into that and give you the solution now. if you going to attach make it compitable to open in Flash 8/MX 2004.

I am using flash cs3 professional actionscript 3.0 I have inputted the text you suggested above. Does that answer your question?

Yeah, Come to the point, You should mention what version of action script you using in the initial post. Anyway you are the newbe to the forum so kindly note some of the things. You initial post code not suitable to AS2.0 and As3.0. LOL!

Ok below is the method of creating event listeners for a button or movieclip. Let check with your file and change relevant to that.

bluebtn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, bluebtnClick); 
orangebtn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, orangebtnClick);
yellowbtn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, yellowbtnClick); 

function bluebtnClick(e:MouseEvent) {
  goAndStop(3);
}

function orangebtnClick(e:MouseEvent) {
  goAndStop(3);
}

function yellowbtnClick(e:MouseEvent) {
  goAndStop(3);
}

Hope this helps!

hi there!!!

i guess u should add stop(); in the begging of ur script which will stop the frame and wait for a click..pls post comments if it doesnt work..

this command shud be given in the frame where u want the swf to be stopped instead of playing all the pages at once...like if it is in the first frame , then add the stop(); in the first frame and not in any object...
hope it makes things better

Thanks RajaRajan. R for the coding but flash is interpreting it with many errors! I have inputted the coding into the actionscript of one whole page of the portfolio adjusting the keyframenumbers to were I want the appropriate pages to stop but I am still having the same problem. The problem is with flash that keeps on going through the pages without stopping. ALso the buttons are still not click able when the mouse is positioned over it.
Here is the text I inputted:

greenlogo.addeventlistener(MouseEvent.Click, GreenlogoClick) ;
orangeLogo.AddEventListener(MouseEvent.Click, OrangeLogoClick);
yellowLogo.AddEventListener(MouseEvent.Click, YellowLogoClick);

function greenLogoClick (e:MouseEvent) {
goAndStop (KeyFrame2);
}

function orangeLogoClick (e:MouseEvent) {
goandstop (KeyFrame3);
}

function yellowLogoclick (e:MouseEvent) {
	goandstop (KeyFrame4);
}

Changed the wording of buttons to logo but still recieving error message.
Error messages as follows.

1120: Access of undefined property KeyFrame2.
1180: Call to a possibly undefined method goandstop.
1120: Access of undefined property KeyFrame3.
1120: Access of undefined property KeyFrame4.
1119: Access of possibly undefined property Click through a reference with static type Class.
1120: Access of undefined property GreenlogoClick.
1120: Access of undefined property orangeLogo.
1119: Access of possibly undefined property Click through a reference with static type Class.
carries on with the same error message for the yellow button?

1120: Access of undefined property KeyFrame2.
1120: Access of undefined property KeyFrame3.
1120: Access of undefined property KeyFrame4.

Please give the frame no not as "KeyFrame2"
ex: gotoAndStop(3);

1180: Call to a possibly undefined method goandstop.
Carefull of typing the keywords "gotoAndStop"

1120: Access of undefined property GreenlogoClick.
1120: Access of undefined property orangeLogo.

You must follow the keywords to be as it is:
greenlogo.addeventlistener(MouseEvent.Click, GreenlogoClick) ;

function greenLogoClick (e:MouseEvent) {
goAndStop (KeyFrame2);
}

Identify the case-sensitive.

One more thing your code written style is not proper. Its not relevant to the syntax. Flash is case sensitive.

Ive adjusted the script again and im sure I havent made any mistakes yet still producing error messages.

GreenLogo.addeventlistener(MouseEvent.Click, GreenlogoClick) ;
OrangeLogo.AddEventListener(MouseEvent.Click, OrangelogoClick);
YellowLogo.AddEventListener(MouseEvent.Click, YellowlogoClick);

function greenLogoClick (e:MouseEvent){
gotoAndStop (2);
}

function orangeLogoClick (e:MouseEvent){
gotoAndStop (3);
}

function yellowLogoClick (e:MouseEvent){
	gotoAndStop (4);
}

Error messages

1120: Access of undefined property GreenLogo. GreenLogo.addeventlistener(MouseEvent.Click, GreenlogoClick) ;

GreenLogo.addeventlistener(MouseEvent.Click, GreenlogoClick) ;

1120: Access of undefined property OrangeLogo.
OrangeLogo.AddEventListener(MouseEvent.Click, OrangelogoClick);

1120: Access of undefined property YellowLogo.

YellowLogo.AddEventListener(MouseEvent.Click, YellowlogoClick);

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Why not just zip up your fla file and post it here??

I agree with Iamthwee and already suggested you for that, why not you zip your file? you are not made any big mistakes.

Ok let I will point your errors again:
Almost your problem is solved, plz check the syntax you properly encoded

1. GreenLogo and other names should be a instance name of a movieclip or button.
2. plz follow the syntax case sensitive

GreenLogo.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, GreenlogoClick);

Carefully check out the CAPS and lowerCase

Hope this solve.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.