hi all, thanks in advance for any replies!

Basically i have googled and googled, and not found anything, so i was wondering if you guys could help. Me and some mates have recently put together a CS:S clan, and accompanying site (ShellShockCSS), however aour gameserver is currently not up 24/7, so i was wondering wether ther is a "server status monitor" that we cd use on the site, you know, to check regularly that the server is active.

-Adding something like this would be a great addition to the new site, and would help out so much.

Please please please if you know anything (or even if you dont, but think you can help) reply to this thread ASAP!! Thank you again.

PS all you guys here at DaniWeb are welcome to sign up on the forums and play!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Think about this a bit.

If the server is down, it is not going to return anything, including server monitor code. It's DOWN!

The browser will give a "server not found" or a "server is not responding" error.

I guess if you have another site you can put your monitor code on, you could have a script try to open a dummy page on the server being tested. But the server error will stop the script.

The only thing I can think of which can do this is UNIX shell scripting pinging a server.

Think about this a bit.

If the server is down, it is not going to return anything, including server monitor code. It's DOWN!

The browser will give a "server not found" or a "server is not responding" error.

I guess if you have another site you can put your monitor code on, you could have a script try to open a dummy page on the server being tested. But the server error will stop the script.

The only thing I can think of which can do this is UNIX shell scripting pinging a server.

Hey, thanks for the reply, but i dont think i made it clear that the webserver is a different machine to the gameserver, so some kind of monitor sounds feasible, like u sed some sort of pinging tool that would return a server down message, rather than a server up message, wer the game serve not to respond (this would ofc appear on the web server)

I am no expert when it comes to scripting/site design, and just want to know if this is feasible without having to create any new code myself (as i cant lol).

I really appreciate any help as i have yet to obtain my coputer science degree :) (thats next year lol)

thanks again,

rade

It should be as simple as a timer loop trying a ping. But I don't know how to do it without UNIX shell script.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.