I have been following along with this thread because of the same issue. I just want to know what "SVSSSvc.exe" is and what is is doing in the Process Manager.

I pretty much skipped all the steps - they didn't apply until the Program Files\HP\Common file was mentioned. From there I did use your cmd line as was written, and I got

The system cannot find the path specified. So I did the following:

C:\>cd\program files\HP\Common

C:\Program Files\HP\Common>dir
Volume in drive C is HP_PAVILION
Volume Serial Number is 5C5F-3506

Directory of C:\Program Files\HP\Common

11/06/2010 04:17 AM <DIR> .
11/06/2010 04:17 AM <DIR> ..
04/10/2008 02:31 PM 447,792 FixEngine.dll
12/11/2006 04:22 PM 346,680 HPBasicDetection3.dll
07/29/2008 09:13 AM 98,096 HPDDRev.dll
06/19/2008 03:24 PM 580,912 HPDeviceDetection.dll
10/08/2010 11:53 AM 1,539,128 HPDeviceDetection2.dll
03/10/2008 12:22 PM 419,168 HPeDiag.dll
10/14/2007 08:17 PM 124,016 HPeSupport.dll
10/07/2010 11:27 AM 190,008 HPGMNRev.dll
10/25/2006 12:46 PM 140,856 HPScripting.dll
04/03/2008 06:02 PM 70,960 IERefreshPolicies.dll
11/15/2007 01:24 PM 390,656 InternetUtil.dll
04/10/2008 02:32 PM 316,720 InternetUtil2.dll
03/13/2009 10:03 AM 149,048 iPAQDetection2.exe
07/21/2006 12:38 PM 26,690 iPAQInfo.CAB
09/18/2007 05:11 PM 9,520 iPAQInfo_2003.dll
08/10/2007 03:25 PM 7,728 iPAQInfo_510.dll
10/25/2006 12:47 PM 342,072 RulesEngine.dll
17 File(s) 5,200,050 bytes
2 Dir(s) 131,291,058,176 bytes free

Thinking there maybe a hidden file, I typed the following and received the following reply.

C:\Program Files\HP\Common>XXcopycommon.txt /a /s /og
'XXcopycommon.txt' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Any more ideas or would it make sense to just search the system for "SVSSSvc.exe"

Thanks for any suggestions!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Sorry, I may have posted this in the wrong place but when I searched for "SVSSSvc.exe" it landed me on this page...I just realized, I am not getting the same problem with name of the thread. Perhaps you could direct me to where I should properly post my query. Thank you.

Sorry, I may have posted this in the wrong place but when I searched for "SVSSSvc.exe" it landed me on this page...I just realized, I am not getting the same problem with name of the thread. Perhaps you could direct me to where I should properly post my query. Thank you.

I believe moogie just found my answer as I just installed Second Copy to back up my files, and "SVSSSvc.exe" is the executable for that program. I am having continual issues with my old HP XP SP3 and have had to do several recoveries.

Guess I will just have to do a destructive recovery *Sigh*! :'(

Reply to Nocindy: I also run Second copy, version 8. I have installed this twice and even release 2 causes problems in that one cannot shut down Windows Xp and run Second copy automatically. Also the Secondcopy icon does not go appear in the system tray. The solution for this is to revert to version 7, which has, for me at least, presented no problems. However, my current problem with the C:Program Files/Common appearing at start-up was occasioned by installing drivers for the HP 6100 All-in-one and may be connected with the fact that I still have the HP 5500 installed as a back-up printer. Who knows? Certainly HP are not interested.

Moggie moonshin

@nocindy - I split you off into your own thread.

What issues are you having with your compy?

PP:)

The command should be:
dir C:\Program Files\HP\Common>XXcopycommon.txt /a /s /og
What is SVSSSVC.exe?? Could you post a hijackthis log?
HiJackThis:
You have a choice of versions, installable program or stand-alone executable; in action they are fundamentally identical.

i] -download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html or http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
-dclick that .msi file to install Hijackthis as a program. Else...
ii] - download the executable file from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php
- unzip if necessary; copy hijackthis.exe to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop.
Start Hijackthis via the desktop icon or by dclicking hijackthis.exe.
- CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
- click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

PhilliePhan, Thank you for moving my post as I realized what I had done after the fact which is why I aked for assistance to post it in the correct place, even if I did find the answer in Moggie's thread to that one question.

There is a list of issues that have killed my newer PC and laptop, and I am now down to my old XP. However, I do think that the issues I have been experiencing over the last weeks, have been mainly due to a safe recovery rather than a clean, destructive, recovery. I believe this to be true, because each time I do it, I get a new set of my folders and settings with another extension, i.e., .000 or .001 and each overides my original. In other words, I have become triplets and I have to go into my original doc folder to access and or copy them into the new set up. It not only takes up more room, but I still have to reinstall some driver, and because the MMC and services change which system runs them, along with the exansion of the registry, things seem to get confused as to which one of me they belong. Run on sentences - sorry about that. Any way as you can imagine, little things crop up. Error messages, updates want install and I have to edit the registry, have just fixed a problem with Win Installer (versions of the updates, etc.) The list goes on and on.

It was while I was checking the process manager that I noticed the file I was inquiring about, and when Moggie posted the last log, voila, there is was. So I know that wasn't it. I had downloaded it last night as my PC wouldn't reconize my external HD for backup and the only thing I could think of at the time was to DL another program to back up my files even though I had just done another recovery several days prior, I had new ones. That is the short story.

I think, IF, I do a clean destructive recovery, most of the problems will be reduced at least for a bit longer. I was just looking for a way to hopefully combine my clones into one and clean out the duplicates etc. Been spending way too much time trying to keep this running until I can afford to get my Core 2 Quad DT fixed - that is another issue altogether and actually don't want to put any more money into it. Most issues I can take care of but on that one it is a power issue, which could be anything inside, technically and I don't have the equipment to test the MB, PS, cards and all the good stuff!

Anyway thanks for your help. I am sure you will probably agree that a clean recovery is the best and easiest way to go - it just takes forever to update everything!

Ah. A spelling issue. SCVSSSVC.exe

The command should be:
dir C:\Program Files\HP\Common>XXcopycommon.txt /a /s /og
What is SVSSSVC.exe?? Could you post a hijackthis log?
HiJackThis:
You have a choice of versions, installable program or stand-alone executable; in action they are fundamentally identical.

i] -download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html or http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
-dclick that .msi file to install Hijackthis as a program. Else...
ii] - download the executable file from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php
- unzip if necessary; copy hijackthis.exe to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop.
Start Hijackthis via the desktop icon or by dclicking hijackthis.exe.
- CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
- click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

Gerbil,

As I noted in the comment I posted, I found out what SVSSSVC.exe was by looking over Moggie's last log post as you will note in my response. It is the executable file for a back-up program I installed last night. The rest of the information is pretty much written in my other post, should you wish to read it. However, it is no longer necessary as I have identified it.

Thank you anyway for your assistance! :icon_wink:

Ah. A spelling issue. SCVSSSVC.exe

Sorry Gerbil, I copy and pasted it, that was the name of the file! :icon_smile:

I was just looking for a way to hopefully combine my clones into one and clean out the duplicates etc.. . . . . I am sure you will probably agree that a clean recovery is the best and easiest way to go - it just takes forever to update everything!

Yeah - definitely the easiest and most effective course of action!

And, perhaps most importantly, a clean install won't have you pulling out your hair and threatening your machine at sledgehammerpoint..... Is that a word? Like gunpoint? ;)

Cheers :)
PP

Yeah - definitely the easiest and most effective course of action!

And, perhaps most importantly, a clean install won't have you pulling out your hair and threatening your machine at sledgehammerpoint..... Is that a word? Like gunpoint? ;)

Cheers :)
PP

"And, perhaps most importantly, a clean install won't have you pulling out your hair and threatening your machine at sledgehammerpoint..... Is that a word? Like gunpoint? ;)"

LOL! Too late for that warning, and if it isn't a word, it should be!

I think I went bald, wonky (is that a word?) and have had repeated and constant thoughts of throwing all 3 PITAs off my balconey (of course into the dumpster if it's there!) FYI - PITA 1, 2, and 3 means Pain In The - guess you know what the "A" stands for!

Thanks for at least making me smile while dealing with these PITAs!

Take care and be well! :o)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.