Hello. As you can guess by the look of the title, I too own the THANE's "world's smallest digital camera".

Also I own a cheap Chinese-made talkie-walkie.

Funny thing happens when I connect my minicam (above mentioned) to the USB port of my computer, and I turn on my cheap Chinese talkie-walkie at the same time. (maybe you can notice the sarkasm in my words)

You see - the cheap Chinese-made talkie-walkie of mine starts whistleing a very strange tune quite loud indeed. It seems that the USB cable (or the camera itself) transmits the signal from my THANE mini camera right in the old ether!

I move with my cheap Chinese-made talkie-walkie all around my room, and it's still very strong, so - how far it goes then?!

Is our privacy at stake?
Answer...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is anybody there?

no, there's nobody there.

All equipment that has an electrical current flowing through it will transmit radio frequency emissions. Apparently your crappy cheap digicrap and/or your cable are extremely poorly shielded and happen to transmit at the exact frequency at which your crappy cheap radio receives.
Freak coincidence.

And yes, they're out to get you.
Black helicopters will descend on your home and men in white space suits will take you to have experiments performed on you by aliens.

no, there's nobody there.

All equipment that has an electrical current flowing through it will transmit radio frequency emissions. Apparently your crappy cheap digicrap and/or your cable are extremely poorly shielded and happen to transmit at the exact frequency at which your crappy cheap radio receives.
Freak coincidence.

I am aware of that, and, actually, when I was checking some time ago wheither someone answered on this topic of mine or not I had an idea that somebody might comment just the way you did!! (the I-am-smart-and-you-don't-know-sh** way) Of course that's the way it goes (about electricity, current, conductors, radio emission...), BUT(!!!) - I was surprised by the strenght of a signal, so I wondered if there's someone out there who checked it up (or to check it now) - you know measurment (because I don't have an apropriate aparature to do it) - wheither that signal is just some impulses or the actual data of an image, then - can it be received and interpreted from distance, how far it goes (20m, 50m, 100m?!), etc. It might be an interesting stuff. Obviously cable acts as an transmitter...

And yes, they're out to get you.
Black helicopters will descend on your home and men in white space suits will take you to have experiments performed on you by aliens.

[img]http://www.fixturesetc.com/images/products/Porcher_Reprise_toilet_paper_holder.jpg[/img]
...Roll?..

...Oh! And also: what program/utility to use to extract raw data from it's memory.

(I had some really neat pictures on it (damn!), but hot weather and humidity in my pocket made it malfunction and report that there are no pictures in it before I had a chance to transfer it to my computer... help. anyone?...)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.