Well I got a laptop, one of thoses old 366mhz for travel only, and I got this problem which is quite annoying after about 5-10 mins the screen turns black, and it doesnt seem to be the screen saver since its at 60min(60minutes needs to be past for the screensaver starts)

I checked everywhere for options, but none. In alimentations all thoses who usually can make ur screen turn black are set to "Never".

Anyone can help me this is really important as every game,movie I watch, the laptop's monitor turns black after a little while and I need to move my mouse ot ur it back. (currently running on its battery)...

Thanks Alot!

edited more info:
COMPAQ ARMADA 1750

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Did you check the "Power Options Properties"?

Yes if its the place where,
to close the monitor: Never, Never
Sleep Mode: Never, Never

Everything is set to never in there :P

it still going to blackscreen :(

Did you check the power management in the BIOS setup?

Well I got a laptop, one of thoses old 366mhz for travel only, and I got this problem which is quite annoying after about 5-10 mins the screen turns black, and it doesnt seem to be the screen saver since its at 60min(60minutes needs to be past for the screensaver starts)

This is not a screensaver issue -- it's a backlight issue. A screensaver does not affect the backlight and vice versa. Check the HPQ FAQs for backlight or Google it. It could be in the BIOS. There is nothing for this explicitly in Windows.

I googled it but cant find anything on it... so it should be in the BIOS? So I just enter bios and check for backlight? And turn it off?

I dunno Im not a bios fan :P

Are u sure its the backlight?

can anyone explane exactly whats a backlight?

can anyone explain exactly what's a backlight?

A liquid crystal display (LCD) panel produces no light of its own, so it has to have a light source to be visible. You can either have a display that uses ambient light (reflective, for example the original GameBoy) or one that is lit from behind (transmissive, like most laptops and cell phones). Lit from behind, hence "backlight." Most current laptops and desktop LCDs use fluorescent lamps running on a relatively high voltage using a high-frequency switching inverter; the DC supply is fed to an oscillator which in turn feeds a transformer to drive the lamp tube.

A flourescent lamp has an advantage over LEDs in efficiency and over an electroluminescent (EL) light source in color. Also, a display-sized white EL source is difficult and expensive to fabricate, which is why the tube lamp is still the most-used light source 15+ years after the introduction of the laptop. LEDs are making inroads, though. As ultraviolet LEDs become cheaper, brighter, and more efficient, they will even replace light bulbs in our homes, but may never fully replace fluorescent tubes in laptops.

Well my laptop lights in the dark... so no worry however, its like a screensaver when it turns black :| I need that off, whatever it is!! This is really important... it doesnt turn black if Im using the laptop... moving mouse around and keys....

Yes if its the place where,
to close the monitor: Never, Never
Sleep Mode: Never, Never

Everything is set to never in there :P

it still going to blackscreen :(

Can you go into this one step further across the top of the power settings splash screen,hibernation and turn it off maybe

What do you mean exactly?

Right click on the desktop/properties /screen saver /power ,along the top is power schemes ,advanced /hibernate /ups ,that the way it is on my XP pro andy whay .if yourse is like that click hibenate and make sure it isn't checked off .
if its not there then in the Bios you should find something about hibernate .

maybe someone can help me with my problem then. i've made a new thread for it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.