My dad recently got an HTC Widfire and I was setting it up for him because he didn't want to ruin it, despite the setup being very simple. I had set up the e-mail using the default "Mail" app that came on the phone (not the Gmail one) and it worked fine but I noticed that it was connecting via POP3 but we wanted it as IMAP. I went into the account settings to change it to IMAP and changed all the settings. The phone then prompts me with a message that reads something like: (I can't remember the exact wording)

"Modifying these settings will remove the current email account."

I figured this to mean that it would remove the current email account and set up another one with the settings I just set so I clicked "OK" but that's when the problem started.

The new e-mail account didn't seem to set up. Whenever I go in to the mail app, it comes up with the default menu to add a new account and doesn't allow us to access the one on it. I've tried re-creating the account but get a prompt saying that account already exists on the phone and it seems that it is because the phone is receiving new e-mail notifications but when selecting them from the notifications menu, it comes up with the default menu again.

I had a look under the "Accounts and Sync" in the settings to see if the account is listed there but it isn't. I'm trying to find a way to either get the app to show the e-mails from that account or remove the account so we can set it up again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you do all this steps correctly. When you go Account and Sync, there is an option to add a new account have you try that?

Yes I did try that but the same "This account already exists" message comes up.

Since posting the original post, I have managed to resolve this. What seems to have happened is the phone somehow and for some reason set it as a Facebook account on the phone. I deleted the Facebook account which was on the phone and then I was able to re-add the e-mail account.

I'm not sure why it changed it to a Facebook account though but that seems to have been the issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.