First off, I'm terribly sorry if there's another of these threads. I always seem to miss them, even if I check.

So, I need a bit of help. My LifeCam arrived today, all nice and funky-looking. But, the setup won't work. I'll go through the motions, and then when it's almost done it gives this error message:

"Setup cannot continue because either there is insufficient disk space or an unexpected error has occured. Please free the necessary disk space, and run setup again. For system requirements, refer to the product packaging."

But, I know for a fact that I have enough room on my laptop for the software.

I installed it on the family/home PC downstairs and it worked fine. I did everything exactly the same, it just won't work on my laptop. I can actually get the camera to work, but because I don't have the software I have none of the 'gadgets' or the microphone. And I'm rather fond of gadgets. Lol.

I'd be so amazingly happy if someone could help me out with this, I'm so frustrated with the darn thing.

Thanks for your time,

~ Mote

I am having the exact same problem, Installing Lifecam worked fine on my laptop But I get the same "unexpected error" message you are getting on my desktop. Which pisses me off, I know I have plenty of disk space, I know I am well over the minimum requirements, So I guess I must be having an "unexpected error"... wow.. thanks.

So how about some real help? Any ideas what might be going on? or even Better any programs out there you guys recommend for a webcam? I REALLY love Apples PHOTOBOOTH, now thats one enjoyable little program. Too bad there's nothing like that for Windows.. or is there?

I took mine in to the IT dept. at school and they downloaded some more up to date drivers. I don't know where they got them, but it solved the problem. Maybe you could have a hunt around for them.

I took mine in to the IT dept. at school and they downloaded some more up to date drivers. I don't know where they got them, but it solved the problem. Maybe you could have a hunt around for them.

Lifecam ver 1.1 was on my installation disk. I downloaded the current Version 1.3 from Microsoft. But I keep getting the exact Same error message during install;

"Setup cannot continue because either there is insufficient disk space or an unexpected error has occured. Please free the necessary disk space, and run setup again. For system requirements, refer to the product packaging."

Thanks for trying to help though.

=[ Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. I hope you get it fixed though, things are so frustrating when you can't get them working right and you know you've done nothing wrong.

Well, I had pretty much given up on this. Every few days I would attempt to install just to confirm that its NOT going to do it. And then yesterday BAM!! it continued past the part where it always gives me the error message and everything is fine now.

So what was the problem? The only difference between the first 50 times i tried to install and the last one that worked were the Windows Automatic Updates. So my only advice to anyone out there having this problem is to turn on automatic updates and install all the updates you receive. Thanks to all and hope this helps.

I have not being able to install and use my lifecam vx-3000 suffering for 1 month because of the same error, "either you do not have enough space on disk or error 1603" if I remember well. I could not find any helpuful web answer to solve my problem.

Recently I tried to install Skype update v. 3.8 and I got the message that the installation could not continue for possible causes, one of wihch was "windows installer not working or missing".
So I downloaded from Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 for my version of windows XP 64bit "WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64" and I restarted the system.

Then I installed Skype and it worked.
THEN I DOWNLOADED THE DRIVER FOR my LIFECAM VX-3000 v 1.4, the driver installed properly and the webcam finally worked.

You need to download the Windows Installer version that is specific for your version of Windows. It should work also for the different versions of lifecam, VX-1000, 3000, 6000.

I think that the CD containing the driver "LifeCam v 1.3" coming with the webcam was defective and I believe it corrupted Windows Installer in my system.

Hope it helps in fixing your problem
GiRo.

my product is also suffering form same problem

Problems with Microsoft LifeCam VX 3000 - I have downloaded it ever which way and every time I try it makes me download twice and then give message that messenger isn't available (eventhough I can send messages) or camers is not recoginized or being used. I have spent hours on this - have no idea what I am doing wrong - looked and many sites - downloaded 64 bit version from microsoft site, used cd that came with, ran lc14 patch - help :'( - my nephew will be all gown up b4 I get this working.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.