So I got a new computer recently (posted below) and I decided that instead of taking out the extra 80gig i ordered with it and replacing it with my 300gig hard drive, that i'd just put the 300gig in there. Now, I didn't have any more IDE slots so I had to buy a pci card that gave me more slots, but I connected it and windows booted up fine.

Once it got done booting up it said there was new hardware, so I used the CD that came with the device and everything was good. It found the needed files, installed the "storage device" and then asked me to restart so i did.

Well, heres the problem. It won't go past the windows loading screen now. I'm not sure why it wont. I've turned it off and reverted it back and it works fine, but when I try to install the hard drive it doesn't work.

Any help? That extra hard drive has all my data on it from my old computer :(

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Ack, so right when I posted this, the thing went to the normal screen. But, it still doesn't see the hard drive.

It was a slave hard drive for my old computer. The pin is still the same (i didnt touch it) but when i hooked it to the pci card i used the primary IDE connector.

Also, I dont know if i said it or not, but the reason I had to get a PCI card IDE adapter is because my current IDE slot is being used *master and slaved* by my dvd and dvd burner drives. Could it be conflicting with that? The BIOS see's the hard drive...but its not under my computer.

A
It was a slave hard drive for my old computer. The pin is still the same (i didnt touch it) but when i hooked it to the pci card i used the primary IDE connector.

did you try changing it to master ,if no why not try it master .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.