Hey guys, I was trying to boot up my old computer to transfer some files to a new one and it wasn't working. It's a Dell Dimension, and when i turn it on it just freezes up after the screen asking for boot menu/setup. Also at times, the screen will say that the HD is not recognizable and won't start up.

I tried going into the boot menu, and in there there is only an unknown device in the hard drive slot for recognition. I tried putting the HD in another computer, but it's not being detected (that computer is custom made, not by dell). So i really don't know what to do. This was really sudden, when i last turned on the computer (few months ago?) it was fine, slow, but was working fine. Since then it's been off so I don't think it's been affected by power outages or anything like that. Also, you can hear the HD spinning when the computers are turned on.

Any ideas in what I should do?

Thanks a lot.

Hey guys, I was trying to boot up my old computer to transfer some files to a new one and it wasn't working. It's a Dell Dimension, and when i turn it on it just freezes up after the screen asking for boot menu/setup. Also at times, the screen will say that the HD is not recognizable and won't start up.

I tried going into the boot menu, and in there there is only an unknown device in the hard drive slot for recognition. I tried putting the HD in another computer, but it's not being detected (that computer is custom made, not by dell). So i really don't know what to do. This was really sudden, when i last turned on the computer (few months ago?) it was fine, slow, but was working fine. Since then it's been off so I don't think it's been affected by power outages or anything like that. Also, you can hear the HD spinning when the computers are turned on.

Any ideas in what I should do?

Thanks a lot.

first thing I try is unplugging ribbon cable to the drive and motherboard ,inside the box ,then replugging them and rebooting .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.