Now that ddr3 is out on the market, system builders will have to make an extra decision on what type of ram to buy. ddr2 is mainstream and very cheap (about 10.00/GB for pc2-4200), but ddr3 is super packed with performance, but is very expensive (175.00/GB for pc2-13333). I personally think that ddr3 is a waste of money, since ram speed is not as important as cpu speed, and with that price, you can get 8gb of ddr2 for the price of 1gb or 2-3gb of ddr3 ram!! What do you think about this? Please explain your reasoning.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

ddr2= balance of price and performance (ddr2-800)

ddr3= little more performance, but a lot more price

ddr= obsolete (for most)

ddr= obsolete (for most)

not for me ,all my cheap p4 2.8, biostar board takes ,and the one gig i have is good for what i use the computer for .burning dvd's and Internet research

my graphics card takes GDDR4

and DDR aint obsolete.

my server (xeon) has 1gb SDRAM and my router/proxy/firewall (athlon 3000) has 256mb DDR

my graphics card takes GDDR4

and DDR aint obsolete.

my server (xeon) has 1gb SDRAM and my router/proxy/firewall (athlon 3000) has 256mb DDR

What i meant was that most new pc builders and a lot of pcs 2-3 years old don't use DDR. it isn't fully obsolete though, b/c servers use it a lot (as u said)

What i meant was that most new pc builders and a lot of pcs 2-3 years old don't use DDR. it isn't fully obsolete though, b/c servers use it a lot (as u said)

yeah,sure aint no one going to be building new systems with ddr ,also dd3 is so expensive i think most builders like Dell and others . will use boards that are dd2 & 3 compatible ,and will sell them with ddr2 and offer dd3 as a upgrade .

that sounds likely, but what's the point of those ddr2/ddr3 boards if the specs are:

maximum ddr2 ram: 8GB/64 bit
maximum ddr3 ram: 4GB/ all os's

i wouldn't consider going from 8gb ddr2 to 4gb ddr3 in the future an "upgrade", regardless of speed.

yeah but the fact is that 95% of apps, even in 64 bit dont take advantage of the memory space over 2 (or in some cases) 3gb

the only app i know that can is MSSQL Server Enterprise

maybe people should reconsider making these apps that don't utilize all the ram!!

My computer uses SDRAM :)

What does that mean anyway?? (SD)

What are the different meanings for the different ram types out there and what makes one kinds better/worse than any other?

DDR3 is just not worth it at the moment, you can get 1066MHZ ram, for less then DDR3, it performs just as well!

GO DDR2 (for now :P)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My computer uses SDRAM :)
What does that mean anyway?? (SD)

what that means is you have an old computer ,you are 3 generation behind ,there is ,sdram then ddr-sdram ,ddr2 and ddr3 ,neither of which will work in you computer ,that is unless you board was made in anticipation of the upcoming ddr ram ,and it may have slots for ddr sdram also ,but not ddr2 or 3 .

What are the different meanings for the different ram types out there and what makes one kinds better/worse than any other?

sd=singal data ,ddr =double data rate , the main difference is bus speed ! and that is listed in the numbers . like pc66,pc100 or pc133 sdram ,then the ddr went by # like ,pc1600/2100/2700/3200/4000,and corrosponding bus speed like pc166/pc266/pc333/pc400 or what ever .
ddr2 and 3 are numbered like the ddr, pc5000 and up ,all with bus speed numbers to,like the sdram , so very confusing at time ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.