I recently decided to start looking around for more ram for my computer. I have noticed a big variation between the RAM amount and price. I use the site Pricewatch.com to find great deals. I came across 4GB RAM for only $88 then there is a 1GB that is about the same price. What is the difference between those two. What am I supposed to look for in RAM. I'm using it for Games, work, school, music...etc

Here is an example of just some of the RAM cards I have found. I will only show two but there are many like these.

Generic 4GB 667Mhz DDR2 4GB PC2-5300 / DDR2-667 667Mhz DDR2 - 240 Pin DIMM Memory - Lifetime Warranty $88.98

Kingston Technology Kingston HyperX 1GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module - 1GB - 800MHz DDR2-800 PC2-6400 - NonECC - DDR2 SDRAM - 240-pin DIMM $92.69

Here are some of the many price differences on RAM cards. What are some of the best and cheapest RAM cards I could get. To me 4GB RAM sounds like a REALLY good deal to me for $88 because I have only 512MB on my computer now.

-Alex

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

try this link it will read your ram and give you option and proces to get the correct one www.4allmemory.com

My computer is not really a brand name. It was built by someone. It's not a bad computer but I'd like to improve my ram. What are some of the best RAM cards for cheap. Like I said 4GB for 88...why doesn't everyone get one just for the heck of it.

u can still do the scan my pc was self made and i use it to tell me what ram i need for upgrade, 4gb for 88 sounds excellent, who is the manufacturer

how much you need all depends on what applications you run :)
XP may not allocate more than 2GB per process, but if you have an application that wants that much having more than 2GB can help (as XP itself and everything running in it can take 1GB or more all by itself).

These days there is not much difference in price between a 2GB RAM and a 4 GB RAM.So if you have the money its better to go for the 4GB one because sooner or later chances are that you will need it.And spending money then again on a new RAM is a waste.

question ,the ram you are looking at is ddr2,does your motherboard take ddr2 ram or does it take ddr sdram

older motherboards don't support ddr2 RAMs,you have to take that into consideration before buying a new RAM.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.