Hey, I've seen this external hardrive and was wondering if this would be ok to save ALL my files to it, So in the end i wouldn't have any files on my computer but all on the hardrive, its 1TB in data, 1024gb if i'm correct?

Clicky

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Depends on what you really want to accomplish. If it is a USB 2.0 you will get a quick file transfer, while USB 1.0 from your PC will slow that transfer rate.

I myself, have a 320 GB external drive that I connect to my Laptop. I use it for two purposes, one being File Backup. The second being for primary storage of larger files since my Laptop has a smaller storage capacity.

Note, that you need to use the Safe Remove option with any USB device. I have crashed my flash drive before by just pulling it, and would be crippled if I had done that to my external drive.

You could do that, but I think of my external drive as a backup. No file is safe on a hard drive, so two copies is better than one.
You're not really safe until you have a CD/DVD backup, and even that can be iffy.

Thanks for replys, I am planning to get a new laptop and a e-hd. Just a few questions.. Can I run programs off it without them being saved at all onto computer? And if i use e-hd and don't save any files to my computer at all my computer should run fast because its got no files on?

Thanks.

No, no, no.
The number of files on your HD makes no difference at all to the speed until the drive is nearly full.
External drives operate much more slowly than internal drives, so you'd see a noticeable slowing using your method.
Max out your RAM to get speed.

No, no, no.
The number of files on your HD makes no difference at all to the speed until the drive is nearly full.
External drives operate much more slowly than internal drives, so you'd see a noticeable slowing using your method.
Max out your RAM to get speed.

Agreed. External drives are for data not programs. Their design is not optimized for that load.

:( I am thinking of geeting 2GB+ ram, and I might still get a e-hd

:( I am thinking of geeting 2GB+ ram, and I might still get a e-hd

good idea .but i would never trust a harddrive for storage of my important data ,i burn it all to DVD's ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.