I just changed my power supply and when I boot it says till i use 40 conductors wire and not 80 cond. w. it will be switching from d2 to ultra33 mode what does it mean and what should I do

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

• Sounds weird first thing that comes to my mind is bios failure(just thinking out loud )
  • Is this a suse box I mean linux post some of your computer specs pls? (kernel)
  • Did you put in anything else new in like IDE cables?(just curious)

I just changed my power supply and when I boot it says till i use 40 conductors wire and not 80 cond. w. it will be switching from d2 to ultra33 mode what does it mean and what should I do

Some BIOS'es can detect what kind of wire you're using.

Though, 40-pin cables are capable of running ATA-33 spec...80-wire is what they introduced for ATA-66.

d2...are you sure you don't mean DMA Mode 2?

the guys is mad at me so he fucked my bios... is that what you mean

the guys is mad at me so he fucked my bios... is that what you mean

That changes everything hold up

Someone was tampering with your bios if so you might can fixed it with your help we need more info to help you

what are you using windows or linux
(Just a suggestion)
check the IDE cables are they yours maybe he messed with them look on the back of your power supply does it have a VOLTAGE/WATTAGE switch ?

i'm on xp
I install the power supply myself so it must be ok
he also delete a xp boot file but i will be ok with this one
the ide cable seem to be the same but...

are you using the computer that has problems to post here

This is not a bad thing. 80-conductor cables have better signal integrity, and both drives and controllers can sense (by the additional ground wires) that such cables are in use. The d2 reference is not one I'm familiar with, though. Normally, 40-conductor cables will support Ultra-33 mode. Most new hard drives are Ultra-100 or 133, but nearly all CD/DVD drives are still Ultra-33 (a 52X CD drive is still under 8 MB/second data transfer). Still, I use 80-conductor cables for better signal quality, where possible.

he also delete a xp boot file but i will be ok with this one

How did you find this out from a previous incounter with the guy or today

Good post tallcool

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.