Ok so I just built this computer and everything was going good. Then It just stopped powering on. I press the power button and nothing happens. Sometimes it starts up but quickly shuts off before anything happens. I can get it to power up by taking the power botton jumper off and putting it back on agian, but it wont stay on. I am not sure what the problem could be.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Ok so I just built this computer and everything was going good. Then It just stopped powering on. I press the power button and nothing happens. Sometimes it starts up but quickly shuts off before anything happens. I can get it to power up by taking the power botton jumper off and putting it back on agian, but it wont stay on. I am not sure what the problem could be.

Could be your power supply, motherboard grounding out, or an "iffy" connection with the ATX power connector (assumption that it's an ATX PSU).

Disconnect everything from the motherboard, plug it back in. If that does nothing, take the motheraboard out of the case and do it all over.

Check to make sure that your LED/AKA Accessory Connectors did not come loose 1st

All the LED are ok and when I unplug every thing and plug it back it does the same thing.(and it is an ATX PS)

What about the 12v jumper
What kind of fan is cooling your processor and where is it located.

I have one plug in I don`t think it has a place for another.

What another place for the 12v or the fan .....where is your fan located thats cooling the processor?
How may hours did your computer run for

another for 12v. the fan is right above the processor. it ran for less then an hour.

Above the yellow thing and left to the slots thats where you had it in right. So it only ran for 1 hr tell me you put thermal grease between the processor and the heat sink?I still think this is a grounding issue having to do with the screws

yes, and I bought it already with the cpu on, and I screwed it in properly. I even tried it without the screws.

My buddy cheyenne1212 from my first forum site had a similar problem and got it resovled.
HERES THE LINK

I starting to think it might not be shorting out. When it shut`s off the led light on the M/B stays on. which makes me think that it might be a connection or the PS.

Tru...........man I have about five of those laying around here. Hopefully you have a spare . It really might sound bad to you but I have heard worse try another one and post back..........Good luck

I'm having the same exact problem. The power supply is made by L&C Technology and I just replaced it with the same exact one (found it online for like $9). Everything seems to be getting power, just won't boot up. It's an ASUS mobo with a Pentium III processor. Could this be a bad/burnt processor or bad video card? Although, a bad/burnt P3 seems odd. I've never heard of or had to replace one before. That's all I can think of after taking everything out and reinserting it all. Anyone have any similar experiences or input?

my friend had the same problem, this solved his prob but it might not solve yours. there was a tanish plastic looking pin that was is the wron slot. he moved it up one or down one and it started up perfectly. the pin had something to do with restarting and it wouldnt start with it in the wrong place. it would go on for about 4-7 sec then turn off. http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/1640-overview.jpg
heres a pic of the pin, im not sure if you can see it too well but the pin im talkin about is in the top middle of the pic and directly under the small red and yellow wires.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.