I have the following self-built system which has worked great for the past 2 years:

MSI K9N Platinum MB
AMD 64 X2 4200+ CPU
ATI All-In-Wonder X1900 Video card
2 GB Crucial Memory
450 Watt Antec Power Supply

Machine locked up yesterday. When I tried to restart I get no POST, no beeps, but the fans and hard drives power up OK. I have tried the following:
-Reset the CMOS
-Switched out the memory
-Reseated Video card, memory, and CPU
-Removed MB from case with CPU/fan, Video card, plus 1 stick of Memory and still have same problem

The D-bracket which came with the MSI MB shows 4 red LEDs, which may indicate a CPU problem, but the MSI tech told me it could be other problems as well. I do not have another video card or CPU to try.

Any suggestions from here? Should I send the MB back? Is this more likely to be a MB problem or CPU, or could a bad Video card cause the system not to POST, or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

strip it down to just power supply, motherboard, and cpu/fan. Do you get any beep codes? If so install the ram, one stick at a time. Then install the video card. The point at which you don't receive any beep codes it the bad component.

strip it down to just power supply, motherboard, and cpu/fan. Do you get any beep codes? If so install the ram, one stick at a time. Then install the video card. The point at which you don't receive any beep codes it the bad component.

Thanks for your help. I gave this a try. Stripped it down with nothing but Power supply, MB, and CPU/fan. I get no beep codes (I did hook up the case speaker). The CPU fan powers up, but nothing else. I guess this leaves the CPU or MB as the problem. I checked and both are still under warranty. I think I'll jsut sent both back.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi
That being the case Ill say its the mobo. It can be the cpu... but my instict tells me its the mobo. make use of youre warranty

cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.