I just built a computer (not sure why, just wanted a spare computer to play around with.) I plugged in all the cords, plugged the monitor and computer into the wall, and pushed the power button. The power light came on, the fans spun, and... nothing. The monitor just showed its little red, green, and blue striped self test. It also didn't beep (not sure if it's supposed to.) My monitor was working properly, I should check the computer power and cable. I checked both, and both were OK. But the computer didn't do anything. I unplugged it and looked inside, everything was connected correctly. So I plugged it back in and, for no good reason at all, a spark flew out of the wall and half of my apartment's power shut off. After resetting the circuit breakers, I plugged the computer in again, and got the same results as the first time (no spark.) My monitor is working fine, it's the same one I'm using on a different computer to type this message.