I have posted already about my faulty, i thought, HD on my HP nc6000, But the more i play with it, the less i think it is.

To start with it kept just freezing, and had to be shut down. also, it would not power up, you had to push the power switch and wait and see if the hard drive kicked in, or it just switched off again.

I have reinstalled XP on it, it run fine, and i played the demo, no probs. Then while putting in the drivers, it froze again on one of them. So i reinstalled Xp again, this time putting in all drivers, except the one that caused the crash last time. All good, running ok, no problems. So then i tried to install Norton, then as soon as it got to the part after inputting the key, it froze. I dont think it is the HD, as it is irregular, could it be faulty RAM, or any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Do you get BSOD's ? (Blue Screen of Death)

i did when it first happened, but not everytime, it just freezes?

Well a BSOD points to either graphics card or RAM. What is your graphics card? And how much RAM do you have?

not sure about the Graphics card, but have 512 RAM. I went to the HP site, and it suggested RAM, and said to reset it. This i did, before that it would not even boot up, not even display the bios, just turned on, then 3 seconds later off again, now it comes on, gets to the log in screen, and locks up again???

its sorted now. Just for anyone that wants the info, it was the RAM, it needed reseating, now ok.
Thanks for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.