I have a Toshiba Satellite M35x-S161 laptop that I bought in 2005. In mid 2006 I left it on all night and woke up in the morning to a dead computer. When I push the power button the button will turn blue, and all the fans and such will start to whir for about 8 seconds then it dies. No windows screen, not even a change of colour to the screen happens in this 8 seconds or so that it seems to be starting.

So far to attempt to fix it, I've tried taking the battery out, leaving the battery in, plugging in the AC, leaving it unplugged. None of which has worked, so it has sat idle for a long while but now returning to school I need it once again so I'm attempting to find the solution.

Can anyone help me?

Last note, when I leave the laptop plugged in for extended periods of time then unplug it, it will do the 8 second power on 2-3 times completely. After that the power button wont glow blue and the internal mechanisms wont make any noise until I plug it back in. And no matter how long it is plugged in, it never seems to completely charge the battery. Thought maybe that is something that will help pinpoint the issue at hand.

Thank you all for your time

it never seems to completely charge the battery?? there's probably a good reason for that. either a bad batt. or AC adapt. or both.

it never seems to completely charge the battery?? there's probably a good reason for that. either a bad batt. or AC adapt. or both.

Would that explain the other symptoms? I mean aren't you able to use the computer without the battery at all, and having it charge the computer enough to do 8 seconds several times... do you think thats the issue?

Portables ARE naturally designed to work independent of a AC adapter. A dying or defective batt. may give limited or no use at all. 8 seconds doesn't even give you boot time. As noted earlier, either or both. Most batt.s of that type are NiCad. and while they do give long life won't last forever.

Well got a new AV cable, and replaced the battery and its still dead. Any other ideas out there?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.