Wow it been about 7 months and I again came across this site again. I have used a really fully upgraded PDQ PowerBook now for several years with only great things to say about it. I installed the Sonnet CPU upgrade, an 80 GB HDD, 512 MB RAM etc. I've even upgraded to OS X 10.4.11 via XPostFacto 4.0 and it seems really stable.

One glitch though that's been driving me crazy lately is as follows: I use 2 MCE EXBAY, (expansion bay) HDDs and I started encountering what I can only surmise is a hardware problem with my PDQ's Logic Board. This seems to occur mostly in the left bay. Here's what happens:

I insert an MCE module, (HDD) and it mounts fine, and all seems well, then after a little while I get a warning from TechTool Pro 4 diagnostics stating either that there is a bitmap mismatch, or a string mismatch. If I don't do something quickly like run DiskWarrior 4 and replace the Directory of the affected EXBAY HDD module, then things get dramatically worse. I get files overlapped or even volume wrapper damage. When such an affected HDD is opened obviously often files are completely missing. Or when folders are clicked they promptly disappear. Even the entire volume disappears from the desktop. After DIskWarrior 4 has replaced a directory then often files and .dmg's etc. are corrupted and unusable.

I have tried dismantling my PDQ and even cleaning the connection ports o the Logic board where the EXBAY HDD's connect with no improvement. What also makes me think it may be the Logic board failing is that if I dismount and eject a troubled EXBAY HDD before too much damage has occurred and insert it into the right expansion bay then often the formerly 'disappeared' files & folders are still there after all. the strange thing is that every hardware diagnostic, (TechTool Pro etc.) I have run on a HDD inserted into the Left expansion bay has come through with no problems found at all.

Now if it actually is the Logic Board and I do replace it the question comes to mind of should I install another PDFQ logic Board or perhaps an 83 MHz revision I logic board? Wouldn't an 83 MHz bus speed be better than 66 MHz? What about the difference in the Backside bus speed of the Logic board. These backside bus speeds were either 133 MHz or 150 MHz. What amount of difference does this difference in backside bus speed make? How can the backside bus speed be determined by looking at one of these Logic boards?

Also it is important to me to make sure I have on any replacement Logic Board the 4 MB SGRAM, TV out, ATI Rage Pro video chip like my current PDQ Logic board has. According to the Apple Service Source Manual the Logic Board's serial number is used to determine the Logic Board's specifications.

For example the serial number on my current (but failing) Logic Board is ; QT8511DNDW701 In this case the characters DW7 mean that my logic board has; 4 MB SGRAM, TV out, ATI Rage Pro video chip.

Other compatible serial numbers that also have the important 4 MB SGRAM, TV out, contain the characters; B9B, DGL or DFM Would a Revision One logic board have any of these digits in it's serial number? In other words, were they made with the 4 MB SGRAM, TV out, ATI Rage Pro video chip?

Would my Sonnet CPU upgrade still function as well, would the graphics card still run as smooth with a revision one 83 MHz logic Board?

I replied to a post about 7 months ago by a member here named ywis ywis who had a some experience with a Sonnet CPU upgrade and an 83 MHz logic board. This member preferred a PDQ board due to the better graphics it provides and I'd like to know more detail about this.

One other thing I noticed and I would like any advise regarding. I mention this in case it is the causing a perceived hardware failure instead of there being an actual hardware failure occurring.

I installed TinkerTool System 1.8.5 and I got a message on launching it, (I then removed it promptly using AppDelete as a precaution. However before I removed it the message from TinkerTool System 1.8.5 read:

"Warning! Additional code seems to have been loaded into this application. The components listed below might be trying to make unauthorized changes to the running code of TinkerTool System. This can cause serious malfunctions, unexpected termination of this program and loss of data. If these components have been installed without your knowledge, this could indicate an attempt to manipulate the normal behavior of your computer or to steal personal data from you.

You may no longer be using the original version of TinkerTool System. if you don't fully trust a component in the list, it is strongly recommended to remove that component.

NOTE: This warning is generated by TinkerTool System. It does not indicate a problem with the application's file but with the copy currently loaded into main memory."

The "components listed below" were the following; iGetterMbundle, Menu Extra Enabler, Smart Crash Reports, StepMenus, Menu Extra Enabler, ( I know it was listed twice, weird) and SafariBlock. Now I remember installing all these applications or I'd be more accurate to state that I recognize that all the items in the list as parts of Applications that I installed.

What I am wondering is: Could these "components listed below" (in this case above) be causing the problems I'm experiencing with my left expansion bay with my MCE EXBAY HDDs in my PDQ? Any assistance or advise would be most welcome.

erikthefinn.

Tinkertool System always complains when copied to another place. It needs to be installed from the DMG, and afterwards not moved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.