My home pc is a hp running windows xp and the other day it was working normally and now a black screen comes on saying it was not shut down properly and gives me the options of starting windows normally or safe mode, etc. It doesn't matter which one I use because when I click on one it acts as if it wants to boot up but just returns to the same black screen I talked about before. Please help me. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

My home pc is a hp running windows xp and the other day it was working normally and now a black screen comes on saying it was not shut down properly and gives me the options of starting windows normally or safe mode, etc. It doesn't matter which one I use because when I click on one it acts as if it wants to boot up but just returns to the same black screen I talked about before. Please help me. Thanks.

insert the winxp cd and boot computer to the windows recovery console and run CHKDSK /R

thanks for the advise. I inserted the disk, reformatted and it seemed like it reloaded the windows xp just fine but at the end it said windows is now restarting and the computer restarted and went back to the blue screen saying windows xp is about to be installed. tried again and the same thing happens....could it be the hard drive? thanks again.

thanks for the advise. I inserted the disk, reformatted and it seemed like it reloaded the windows

seems to have loaded !!! did you get to the pard where it as to activate windows .when it reboots remove the winxp cd from the drive and then let it reboot and let it finish installing windows .or start over and follow the instruction on this site .
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.