256 RAM 3200
HD-WD 120GB,7200,100ata,8MB cashe
new HD-Maxtor plus8 40GB 7200,133ata
Windows XP pro
CDRW

I have my windows installed on WD and made my
new HD as a primary partition and used it as a
slave drive for a couple of days.Decided to try
it with Maxtor as a master and windows to start from there...(looking for faster start and work) WD as a slave.
Bios recognised the HD properly - I have set
up jumpers properly , but when loading windows said something like TRND is missing.. I already
thought that there is need maybe to install win
from installation disc to the new HD but thought this could maybe primary partition will be the same ...obviously it's not ...ha-ha ;-(

Computer was restarting .. going to the same thing , I couldn't turn off , on the next restart I change BIOS with
the old settings of WD-master and Maxtor as a
slave drive,turn the elctr off and after a
minute turn it on, but !!! First I didnt saw
front LED for a HD to goes on. After I push the power button it has gone red and there was
no CDRW or HD or A: any sign of going to work.

Monitor was in safe mode. I check later-there
is green light on LED insight for MB power and
All fans are working. Did I fried in some way
the MB or CPU or have maid mistake to save the
old HD configuration before put back the HD's?

What can I do , could I use potentiometer or
other gadget to check MB or CPU, at least to
know what to change....?

By the way , tried already couple of times with clearing CMOS till 14min off
but nothing changes. At a moment I left it with WD ( where Win is installed)
at primary IDE chanel jumpers as a master alone, tried already as master just, without Maxtor HD connected ... but nothing..?
I dont think I have damaged anything....but..? How to understand and what can I do?

I really will apreciate if you could help me , I ahve been 2 months allready without working computer for a stoped working Radeon 9500 64mb( not overclocked)
Thank you :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I have the same motherboard and have had trouble when i put two hard drives on the same IDE cable. Eventually I had to give up and use two cables; plugging one into the primary IDE port and the other into the Secondary IDE port. If you dont mind the extra cable, this allows you to have a primary and secondary master w/ no slaves.

I have the same motherboard and have had trouble when i put two hard drives on the same IDE cable. Eventually I had to give up and use two cables; plugging one into the primary IDE port and the other into the Secondary IDE port. If you dont mind the extra cable, this allows you to have a primary and secondary master w/ no slaves.

I have left even only one HD at the moment and still dont want to
work at all ...could I damaged my MB , because I can't hear even beep..?

Maybe I should look for a new mb..?

...but when loading windows said something like TRND is missing

Please be more specific about the exact error message if you can.

I left it with WD ( where Win is installed)
at primary IDE chanel jumpers as a master alone, tried already as master just, without Maxtor HD connected ... but nothing..

With only the original (WD) drive in the system, cabled and jumpered as the Primary Master drive, do you even hear/feel the drive spin up? For that matter, is there any indication at all that the system is at least getting power?

I could see there is a power in MB - green light on LED inside...which exactly for this reason -to show there is a power. I could see that front LED which is for HD is going RED , but I am not absolutely sure that I could hear HD spinning..maybe YES, but not sure...definitely FANs are working....;-(

I have tried with secondary IDE channel and only other drive which its obviusly doesn't have full windows installation to boot from it..but at least I want to see if I could get to the BIOS ..eeerr or anything on the monitor...

Seriously considering to buy another MB.. even wondering which one....
A7N8X-deluxe..? I hope there is not a big chance that CPU have gone too..?

:o

so the lights are on and no ones at home?? does it beep at you? is the monitor plugged in?

you sure you have put the CMOS jumper in correctly?

does it beep at you?

As bavnostroclum previously posted: "because I can't hear even beep...". That definitely does not sound like a Good Thing. :(

bavnostroclum,

1. You said: "but I am not absolutely sure that I could hear HD spinning..".
Open the case and put your hand on the drive before powering up the computer and then hit the power switch. Can you feel the drive spin up after you turn the 'puter on?

2. suroot asked: "is the monitor plugged in?". My bet is that you probably do have the monitor's power and video cables connected correctly, but do the monitor's status LEDs/lights indicate the presence of a valid video signal?

3. It's entirely possible that in the course of all of the physical rearrangement you've done within the chassis, you've accidentally "knocked" some other component out of alignment. I would triple-check that all of your cables, PCI cards, and RAM modules are seated correctly and firmly.

Just a quick thought...
Could you have reversed the mouse and keyboard when you were plugging them back in ?

Yes, there is a light on monitor , but quickly turns off and shows me = Safe mode ... or something similar. I checked almost everything .. i remember knocking speaker on the case from inside , with screw , but not very hard..and everything is looking allright.

By the way - on the front only one of the LEDs has a light- this for a HD and is RED, another one..I am not sure what is it for...is off. I think before was green when everything is working, I could see sign like bulb..or cimilar.????

I just recieved Corsair 512MB 3200 PE and 2x256 Crucial 3200 , allready have
tried with changing RAM and and another graphic card ..nope

About mouse and keyboard...I will see, but I dont think have done mistake..
this time...;-(

I tried with disconnecting allmost everything like HD, CDRW , Sound card , modem, graphic card , RAM to see - could I hear anything...No..just FANs
I foun them like ...turning louder this morning...after another try.. :o

I don't know evev is CPU allright or to go straight for a 939-CLI MB with some
6800 PCI-X CLI ....or if CPU is still working for a some steady and good MB with socketA ( my CPU is Athlon 2400+ )

Thank you for posting

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.