I have a Dell Inspirion 531s desktop.I want more storage.A friend left me a Hitachi model number HTS542525K9SA00 5400 rpm 250 gig laptop hard drive.will it work on my computer.It uses SATA connections and I have empty slots on my motherboard to connect extra hardware and I have the correct cables.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

as long as you have correct cables to the sata you are good to go,it will work
laptop sata connections are smaller you know,right.
don't know how you will secure it into the desktop case though unless you have correct caddy

Thanks.Is there anything I need to do set up for my desktop to read the HDD I am putting in?

Thanks.Is there anything I need to do set up for my desktop to read the HDD I am putting in?

not really, much to do ,make sure its set to master and just install it where the old one is,then install you OS.

Laptop SATAs are not smaller, laptop ATA (IDEs) are. It will work fine and windows should sort it out easily.

Laptop SATAs are not smaller, laptop ATA (IDEs) are. It will work fine and windows should sort it out easily.

you are correct ,sorry about that misinformation

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.