Hello all,
I took the processor out of my old Dell Dimension 8300, thinking about upgrading it with a new CPU and hard drive. I should have checked the prices first, I know.
So I put the old one back in and now it won't do anything, just a plank screen,
does anyone know if Dell's are different some how.
The CPU mounts in a strange way, the cooler holds the CPU in, seems kinda hokey to me but I'm sure I have it in right.
Anyone out there ever fool around with Dell's before?
Are they somehow offended if one removes the CPU and need some kind of apology before they will work again?
P. S. telling me I should have left it alone would not be helpful :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Is the CPU fan spinning when you turn on the PC?

Dont look for any one who has fooled around with a dell before and log on to support .dell.com and then select your system type / then go and pen the manual and see if the cpu is in the right place. if this dosent work then just unplugg the power from the computer and press and hold the power button for half a minute and then try to restatrt the system and in case you are talking about a laptop the disconnecting tyhe power would also mean taking the battery out an disconnecting the ac power adapter as there is a 8300 model in desktops and laptops both.

Is the CPU fan spinning when you turn on the PC?

Yes, I have power, in fact the only way I can turn it off is to unplug it.
Thanks for your response.
Craig

Are you able to access the BIOS? If so check out your temps, 70c+ is bad news.

The CPU mounts in a strange way, the cooler holds the CPU in, seems kinda hokey to me but I'm sure I have it in right.

I'm a bit confused here! Are you saying when you removed the CPU it is attached to the cooler?

Are you able to access the BIOS? If so check out your temps, 70c+ is bad news.

I'm a bit confused here! Are you saying when you removed the CPU it is attached to the cooler?

The dimension 8300 does have a bad design. There are no clamps on the processor. The proc is held in place by the heatsink.

You have to reapply thermal grease after removing the proc. especially on these 8300's. The previous post about checking the temps is a good idea. Also check the connections to all your other cables. With the crappy design on these desktops there are a lot of connections and cables running by and/or under this area.
Also make sure that the screws holding the heatsink in place are threaded right. If not it will not hold the heatsink in place properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.