This is just a quick thread I am making to get some information on these two cards.

Basically what is the difference?

is the only difference the speed?

or like does the 6800GT have Pixel shader 3.0, and 64-bit filtering and stuff like the 6800Ultra or do they have different technologies? and will the visual appearance be at the same level of detail?

Because if the only difference is the speed I will get the 6800GT.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I did research the GT has everything the Ultra has the core is 150Mhz slow and the ram is 100Mhz slower, that seems to be the only visable difference.

I might just go 6800GT, it should kill my 9600Xt in performance. :mrgreen:

After much pondering and switching back and forth I have made up my mind.

I will go with the 6800GT
and I should be able to over clock it to 400Mhz core and 1100Mhz ram no problem, and I will be set for next-generation gaming.

On a side note, anyone know if I can run Doom 3 on Ultra settings anti alias x16 and 1280x1024 with like 50+ FPS?

Yeah , im at about 90% sure that its gonna be the GT rather then ATi or anything else.

the 6800Gt will outperform my 9600Xt in everything and my 9600Xt already runs games decently

and at $359 I can overclock it to a Ultra easily and save alot of money
"Best bang for the buck"

After much pondering and switching back and forth I have made up my mind.

I will go with the 6800GT
and I should be able to over clock it to 400Mhz core and 1100Mhz ram no problem, and I will be set for next-generation gaming.

On a side note, anyone know if I can run Doom 3 on Ultra settings anti alias x16 and 1280x1024 with like 50+ FPS?

Rcrevolution, how do you overclock a graphics card?

most of the time it comes with a program to overclock it, ati I believe has smart doctor,
but you can download a program that will overclock it for you.
also your bios might do it if its an overclocking board.

you can up to the extent of your agp

you can up to the extent of your agp

You sure can (AGP Aperture size, AGP fast writes and AGP transfer speed). In the motherboard BIOS however, you can only overclock the CPU, fsb, AGP and PCI buses (not recommended!) and RAM.

it is a fact that a X800XT/PE outperformace a 6800GT/Ultra in HL2

well here my question, will the 6800GT out perform my 9600XT in HL2?
and will there be a big difference in performance in HL2 between the 9600XT and 6800GT?

and what would U classify this pc,
AMD 64 3400+
1024Mb PC3200 Ram
DFi LANPARTY 250GB chipset mobo,
360GB HDD
6800GT

can I call that a high-med range to low- high range pc?

will the 6800GT out perform my 9600XT in HL2?

Very much so (compare using the X600XT - a PCI-E 9600XT).

and will there be a big difference in performance in HL2 between the 9600XT and 6800GT?

See above.

and what would U classify this pc,
AMD 64 3400+
1024Mb PC3200 Ram
DFi LANPARTY 250GB chipset mobo,
360GB HDD
6800GT

can I call that a high-med range to low- high range pc?

I'd call that a high-end gaming machine. Now stop bragging! :cheesy:

lol, so either then though ATi performed better in HL2, Nvidia's 6800Gt will kill my 9600Xt in HL2 am I correct?

and I also have a question, ATI beat Nvidia in HL2, but wasnt Nvidia using their outdated 61 drivers?

Nvidia now has 65 drivers which should give you an extra 10-20fps in hl2.

lol, so either then though ATi performed better in HL2, Nvidia's 6800Gt will kill my 9600Xt in HL2 am I correct?

You saw the benchmarks.

and I also have a question, ATI beat Nvidia in HL2, but wasnt Nvidia using their outdated 61 drivers?

Nvidia now has 65 drivers which should give you an extra 10-20fps in hl2.

Maybe so, but the 6800GT is still a damn good card (and HL2 is optimised for ATI cards).

it is a fact that a X800XT/PE outperformace a 6800GT/Ultra in HL2

It is almost a fact that the PE in the card's title should stand for "press edition". Just about the only copies of the card ever produced found themselves into the hands of hardware reviewers. ATi announced the card, but found it very difficult to manufacture and put on retail shop shelves ;)

Make your comparisons with the X800XT, rather than the almost non-existent XT PE, would be a wise move!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.