I recently accidentally broke my motherboard and now need to work out which motherboards I can get that are compatible with all the other hardware I have...

Specs:

Pentium 4 3.06ghz/1M/533/04a

DDR2 RAM

Thats all I know that it requires. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You will also need to know what speed your RAM is. I think the third number you list is for the RAM, being DDR2-533, but the RAM should have a sticker on it with this info. How much do you have, 1GB?

Also need to know what graphics card type you have. Options are AGP and PCI-E, assuming you actually have a graphics card. Some people don't have them, and just use one built into the motherboard.
AGP slots are a lot smaller than PCI-E, but that doesn't really help you does it? Do you have the manual for your broken motherboard?

Yeah its ddr2 - 533, I have 1.5gb, split with 1 1gb chip and a 512.

Don't laugh but I have a geforce mx440se which I believe to be AGP as it says on that back...'out agp vga'

As for the motherboard...no I dont have a manual, but I can tell you the make...its an ASUS p5vd2 nvm/s but tbh I'm not really a fan of it.

That's a tricky set of specs you have there. Most boards that support 533+ are PCI-E rather than AGP.

This board here http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000191 seems to fit, but I'd hardly say I recommend it. There's also this one from Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2159 they both look almost identical actually. I might have to get back to you when I've got more time to search. Hopefully someone else can come up with something in the mean time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, your old motherboard is not on the ASUS website, because ASUS made it for Packard Bell and it's PB that support it. Just thought I'd mention it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.