This is my first time dealing with RAM or any system internals for that matter (besides fans), so I've got a few questions. I'm sorry I've got so many. I just want to make sure I don't destroy my computer or anything, lol.
I read on a forum that Windows98 Second Edition acts up when adding more than 512MB RAM. Is this true?
2.) Best performance
I can reach a max RAM of 768MB. Is it really worth going beyond 512MB RAM, performance wise? I currently have 128MB RAM and at this point my computer c r a w l s when doing anything, so I want to make it as fast as possible.
3.) Specs don't match?
I probably should have waited and done more research, but I ended up ordering two RAM modules from Dell. The specs on the parts they sent appear to conflict with what my manual says, but I'm not sure...
Quantity of 2: Item #A0118506 DIMM. 256MB. 400MHz. 32X64. 8K. 184 PIN. (Dell/Samsung)
* Dell Dimension XPS T500. Windows98SE, IE6, Intel Pentium III.
* Original module installed: "Part # 25515, DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168"
(which I haven't changed yet.)
Dimension Txxx Manual says...
* Maximum Memory: 768 MB.
* Number of Slots: 3 slots AKA 3 banks of 1
* Combo of 3.3V 32-, 64-, 128-, & 256- MB dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs) in the three DIMM sockets on the system board.
* Only 100MHz DIMMs are supported.
* CAN mix DIMM sizes & install in any order in the memory bank.
* 72-PIN 100MHz ECC or non-ECC SDRAM DIMMs.
Some conflicts (I think) I've noticed are with the MHz and the PIN. Does it look like the modules Dell sent me are a match? I'd really hate to install them only to find out that they aren't right.
Note: I still have the original 128MB module installed, while the other two slots are empty.
* When I upgrade my RAM, will I need to alter any other parts (jumpers, dip switches, etc.), software, BIOS, etc., as a result?
* If I eventually replace the 128MB module with a third 256MB module, do I simply remove the old and fill with the new?
* In the mean time, can I install the two 256MB modules in the empty slots while leaving the 128MB in the slot that its currently in? Or will I need to move the 128MB module to a different slot or is it unsafe having different sizes mixed in there?
I really need some help. Many, many thanks to y'all. :D Have a fantastic holiday everyone.