i have 2 hdd on 1 pc i have installed xp on both drives i need to be able to boot up one or the other drives at start up one is for the kids and one for work i need to be able to password protect one drive is it possible to select which drive i want to boot from i can access the slave drive from my computer so i know the pc is ok any help will be much appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As far as I know, you would need to change the /boot before you shut down your pc :/

what i need is to coose which hdd i want to boot from without unplugging one or the other

Go to the Control Panel under the “System icon “Advanced Option “System Startup Setting the top part indicated the default operating system you want the system to boot-up to.

Since you created two duplicate Operating Systems on two drives you have the same description for both drives. Click “Edit you will see both operating system entries with the same description: WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional", the 1 entry is for access to C:\ drive and the second is for your kids drive. Just rename one of the two entries to distinguish them i.e. WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Dad"
WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Kids"

The close the windows and accept changes, again the above is optional, and then select either the first or second entry to be the boot up operating system. You would probably want to use WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Kids" as the default operating system.

As far as preventing access to your primary drive by the kids, you need to go to the C:\ drive right click and under properties you will need to establish control on who has access to that drive. If your logon name is part of the Administrator Group, then under the “Users profile; the one you created for your kids, you can deny or allow access to some or all the functions on C:\ drive.

Remember in order for the above to work you must have the operating system enabled to only be accessed via User Name and Password. Only then will the security features and User profiles will work.

Two computers.

i have 2 hdd on 1 pc i have installed xp on both drives i need to be able to boot up one or the other drives at start up one is for the kids and one for work i need to be able to password protect one drive is it possible to select which drive i want to boot from i can access the slave drive from my computer so i know the pc is ok any help will be much appreciated

bit late I know, but if you are still stuck go to www.osloader.com it does all you want and more and its free. you can register buy but all that do is stop nag screens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.