so I bought a extra Harddrive for extra storage
I opened my PC (finally)
found out there is NO SPACE WHATSOEVER to place an extra HDD
ok screw it, I'll just lay the new HDD on the bottom & try not to shake my PC to much

PLUS the original harddrive is placed in a position where I have to twist & bend the IDE cable to have it connected to the original HDD, extra HDD & the motherboard all connected together

so I take the new IDE 80 pin connector cable that came with the new HDD

-I take out the old connector cable (which only had a black & blue pin connectors)
-I placed the small Jumper Shunt in the "slave" settings on the extra HDD
-I connected the gray 80 pin connector cable to the 2nd new HDD
-I connected the black 80 pin connector cable to the original HDD
-I connected the blue 80 pin connector cable to the mother board

all colors match

I PLACE NO power supply connector to the new HDD's Power Connector slot because that plug is in the original HDD & I see no other power supply plug!!!!

I make sure everything is connected & close everything & boot up my PC

A BLACK SCREEN ONLY APPEARS WITH THE WORDS:
DISK BOOT FALLURE
INSERT SYSTEM DISK & PRESS ENTER

I TAKE OUT THE extra HDD & the new IDE cable connector & place the old connector to the old HDD just like it was, close everything up & my PC WORKS FINE (as I'm on the new right now)

I checked again & the it seems there is no Jumper shunt in the Jumper Block in the Original Harddrive

anyone know what I did wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Did you set the jumper on the old hard drive to Master instead of stand alone or single drive? What is the drive type..?

You will need to pick up a Y adapter to add a power connection for the second drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thong_Ispector
Did you set the jumper on the old hard drive to Master instead of stand alone or single drive? What is the drive type..?

You will need to pick up a Y adapter to add a power connection for the second drive

sorry I'm new, but jumper is that small thing that you put in two of the 10 pins???
as I said I didn't see any of those things on my original HDD, & it works fine right now without the new HDD added
& what is a Y adapter???
does the 2nd drive NEED a power connection even if the original HDD has one?

the new HDD is a Western Digital HDD & the original is from HP Pavilion a510n factory built

I'll try to make myself more clear..

Even though your existing drive works as a stand alone unit it often needs a jumper in order to add a second drive to the same cable.

Telling me the name of your computer does not tell me the name of your original hard drive.

Physically pull out the old hard drive and look for jumper settings on the case...

You should see settings for stand alone (No jumpers)

Master and a picture and slave with a picture (or diagram)

One way or another you must have power to both drives in order for them to work.

If you read my comments in your other thread, you'll find that there actually IS a mounting point for another hard drive in that case! ;)

The first thing you did wrong is not read those comments! Do NOT have a hard drive sliding around loose in your PC!

yeah I checked & saw no jumper on my original HDD!!!

also when I opened it up my PC I found out it was different from the picture I posted, there was absolutely NO place for another HDD

I DID buy today a USB 2.0 HDD Enclousre Kit, IT IS what I need for an external HDD since there is no space inside my PC????
I JUST sepnt an extra $70 for this so I REALLY hope I need it

with the new HDD I THINK there might be another jumper, I didn't see it before
it's this right:

[IMG]http://www.infohq.com/Computer/CompGraphics/MaxtorPics/CopyofJumperCloseup.jpg[/IMG]

there was a white jumper already in the new HDD & that black one in a packet inside the box
are all jumpers black like in that pic, because having a white one that looked a little different that was already on the pins & one different black one in a packet seems strange

I could also not find another Power supply to connect to the new HDD in my PC

a power Supply Y Splitter is this right:
[IMG]http://www.usb-ware.com/images/pyo2sl-250.gif[/IMG]

so I need a extra jumper for my Original HDD & a power supply splitter for my NEW HDD????

P.S. SHOULD I OPEN THE BOX for the USB HDD Enclosure or return it?
will I have to do something different now with that??

You need to determine the exact make and model number of the original hard drive, and determine what the various jumper configurations for it are. Not all drives use the same pins in the same places for the same configurations.

The jumper can be any colour whatsoever. It's simply a push on thingy which connects two pins.

You do need to add a jumper to your original hard drive in order to add a second drive on the same cable.

If you are having trouble figuring that out you can add your second drive to the cable that goes to your cd rom or dvd...

You will again see jumpers on the back but you should simply be able to add the hard drive as slave.

Feel free to try that without looking at the jumpers as most cd's are already jumpered as master (or can be checked in the bios...)

I have never seen a case that I could not get a second hard drive to fit...
I have had to use one of the 5.25 drive bays and only attach one side or get a $5 kit that takes up the entire 5.25 bay.

That Y is wrong...
You dont need to add a small floppy type power connector you need two of the larger connectors . The one you want has 3 large connectors one male and two female (depending on how you look at it) It can have an additional small connector like the one in your picture but iyou do not need it.

Post a pic of the inside of your case so we can get an idea where to put the new drive. Post a pic of the face (writing or logo) of your old hard drive.

Do you have an unused bay for a second cd or dvd that is not being used?
That would be fine if there is no hard drive specific place...

The external usb will work but iI dont think that is what you were trying to do...

If you do go the external case then you do not need to get the new Y or use the Y you just bought.

Post a pic of the inside of your case so we can get an idea where to put the new drive. Post a pic of the face (writing or logo) of your old hard drive.

I got those pics from websites, I sadly can't take pics & load them up to my my PC

Do you have an unused bay for a second cd or dvd that is not being used?
That would be fine if there is no hard drive specific place...[/QOUTE]

nope, that's why I bought the UBS enclosure

The external usb will work but iI dont think that is what you were trying to do...

If you do go the external case then you do not need to get the new Y or use the Y you just bought.

yeah it seems the USB Enclosure has all that, just that IT WON'T WORK
when I connected everything & turned on my PC it just stays on the start screen & doesn't go to the loading Windows XP screen
ONLY when I turn off the USB Enclosure kit does it work normally!

-should I take off the jumper in the extra HDD when I put it in the Enclosure kit OR add a jumper in my original HDD inside my PC

-How does the Enclosure kit determine which drive will be used as the main drive & which one for back ups only? as there is only one IDE cable with two pin connector slots inside it?

I would suggest you check the manual that came with your enclosure.
It will tell you how to set your second hard drive...
My guess would be with no jumper.. ie master/stand alone..

You should not need to add a jumper to your primary hard drive

lol yeah manual

it had none, just pictures on the back of the box on how to open it up & put a HDD in.
Adaptec's website is also NO help at all, seems you have to get some numbers off the barcode from the box to actually email the tech support, but none of the numbers work so I can't even email them to ask how to get it to work!

oh well I try doing it again without any jumpers on the 2nd HDD, but HOW will my PC know which is the Primary HDD & which is just the backup??
seing as I have to install Windows XP for the 2nd HDD if it's not going to be a backup, right???

Start the PC, boot to windows, then plug the external drive caddy in and see if Windows detects it. It will not be identified as drive D:because if is a removable drive.

Edit: Surely the best way out of your dilemma is to purchase a cheap PC case and transfer the internals of your PC into it. If your current PC case doesn't accodate the number of drives you want, get a case which does.

well I tried again & I'M ALMOST FINISHED!!!!!!

I turn on my PC & THEN turn on the switch to the enclosure, a window pops up on my taskbar saying new hardware found & ready to install

I GO under MY COMPUTER, THERE IS NO EXTRA DEVICE there

ok so I go:
Start
>Control Panel
>Administrative Tools
>Computer Management

-I double click on "Storage"
-I then double click on "Disk Management (local)

a new window pops up

ON TOP it has this:

hp PAVILION ( C: ) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy ....
hp RECOVERY ( D: ) Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy ....

ok there is another window on the bottom with the left part is a list:

-Disk 0
basic 11178 GB

-Disk 1
removable ( G: ) no media
-Disk 2

-Disk 5
unknown
111.79 GB
NOT INITIALIZED

to the right of DISK 5 says "111.79 GB unallocated"

right clicking on the LEFT side of that opens up this:

Initialized Disk

right clicking on the RIGHT side opens up:

New Partition (greyed out & not selectable)

WHAT DO I DO 1st & then Next??
IS there any way to confirm which Drive is the slave & which is the master drive??
UNDER the help section, it said after the Partition Wizard starts they will ask me to choose one of these:
-Primary Partition
-Extend Partition
-Logical Partition

which do I choose?

Right-click the disk and choose Initialize

Then right-click the unallocated space and choose to create patition(s). NTFS partitions are best if you plan to use the drive only with this PC.

Then format the partitions and, if necessary, allocate drive letters to them.

Right-click the disk and choose Initialize

Then right-click the unallocated space and choose to create patition(s). NTFS partitions are best if you plan to use the drive only with this PC.

Then format the partitions and, if necessary, allocate drive letters to them.

o.k., so I Initialized it & then I Partitioned it
in the Partition Wizard I choose Extended Partition & then clicked on Finish

well the unallocated 111.79 GB now became 111.79 GB free space!!

OK so now when I right click on it, it only says delete partition or start new partition, so nothing on formatting there

well I then go to My Computer & There is NOTHING NEW there!

no new device or new hard drive is listed there!! just the same old Hp Pavilion ( C: )
Hp Recovery ( D: )
Floppy Drive ( A: )
DVD Drive ( E: )
etc etc
NO "Disk 5 Hard Drive with 111.79 free space"

everything was just the same old thing before I placed the new External Enclouse HDD Kit

so now HOW & WHERE do I go to Format the new drive with NTFS??
How would I allocate a drive letter to it, IF thats what I need??

also how would I transfer files to it from my old Hard Drive?

I'm so close to finishing this, so close.....

I'd suggest you go back, right-click on the partition you just created and delete it. Then create a partition again only this time make it a Primary partition instead of an Extended partition. A Primary partition is all that you'll need.

When you've done that, check to see if a drive letter is showing for the partition you just created. If not, right-click on the new partition and choose "Change drive letters and paths" and allocate drive letter 'G' to the new partition.

That should fix it I think. You should also be able to right-click on the partition and choose 'format'.

it worked

I'd suggest you go back, right-click on the partition you just created and delete it. Then create a partition again only this time make it a Primary partition instead of an Extended partition. A Primary partition is all that you'll need.

When you've done that, check to see if a drive letter is showing for the partition you just created. If not, right-click on the new partition and choose "Change drive letters and paths" and allocate drive letter 'G' to the new partition.

That should fix it I think. You should also be able to right-click on the partition and choose 'format'.

:) :) :) :) :) :) Thank you thank you thank you thank you

it worked!
but WOW did that TAKE A WHILE
without help from the net I would have NEVER EVER figured this out myself

Partition Type: Partition Primary
Disk Select: Disk 5
Prtition space: 114471 MB
Drive Letter path : ( K: )
File Sytem: NTFS
Allocation unit size: default
Volume Label: New Volume
Quick Format: Yes
Enable File & Folder Compression: No

so all this is right???
do I have to reboot now??

so would I just right click on my excess files & move them to the new Hard Drive for storage???

btw THANK YOU again
thank god I found this site from Google

:mrgreen: I want to thank wtfer for having the problem that he did & to start the thread with the title he used.
I had just today gotten a Tobshiba 30G laptop HDD w/ USB case. And realized that I had never formated a new HDD in WinXp.
I did a Google search 'hdd formating' and found this site.
Thanks to Catweazle for the guidance he gave to wtfer; that I followed to a 'T'.
The HDD has just now finished formating & is seen by Xp.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.