I am having a problem with my computer (Windows XP, 1Gig Celeron, 512 PC133 RAM) booting up. Whenever I completely power down my computer, even if it has only been on for a few minutes, I cannot immediately power up my computer. The drive lights come on, but I don't get the power-on beep or anything on my monitor. If I leave my computer off for 20 minutes or so, it will then power up. At first I thought it was overheating and needed to cool down before coming back on, but now it doesn't matter if it has been on for a few minutes or a few hours. I have run applications that tell me the cpu temp and it is running well below the max temp rating. I don't have any problems if I just do a restart. It's only when I completely power down.

Kregg

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

if you wait a minute will it come back up ? it may not be finished shutting down and when you immed. power it back up it may still be going through the cycle. Patience, anyway it is just a computer

Why would you want to turn it off physically and then turn it back on under 4.3sec or what ever goal you are striving for .... Maybe your computer has a protective memory(circuit) onboard?

I am having a problem with my computer (Windows XP, 1Gig Celeron, 512 PC133 RAM) booting up. Whenever I completely power down my computer, even if it has only been on for a few minutes, I cannot immediately power up my computer.

It sounds like power supply problem. A PS has a startup cicuit, and if it's not working properly, it won't start up. Another, related possibilty is that the output voltage is out-of spec on warm startup. There's a power supply good (PSG) signal that will hold off the system if voltages are out-of-spec.

EDIT... EDIT... EDIT
It's possible that the power supply fan is not spinning or that the power supply itself is too low a power rating for the load. Except for mini-systems, 300W is the absolute minimum that I would recommend.

it could be that your power supply is getting to hot i had on do that to me and i had to wait for it to cool down and then it would start up

geetings ..
i have the same problem , but when it is off for a long time ( ex : at night ) and i power on the PC , the hdd light is ON and doesn't blink , monitor doesnt display anything and the Video Card Fan doesn't start ... sometimes i head a very fast fan sound ( i think the PSU ) , but if i restart it the sound goes off , but still doesn't boot ... but after 5 minutes the PC starts with no problem , and after it is on it doesnt restart or something , it just works untill i power it off

My suggestion it is that i have a problem at the PSU , don't think that the GPU has something wrong because then in games it won't work good

So if anyone has a suggestion of what i need to do , or if i need to buy a new PSU please tell me .. thanks

P.S : i reseted the bios and got the same problem ( that what the ASUS guys told me )

My PC Specs :
Procesor : Celeron D-346 3.06 Ghz FSB 533Mhz
Ram : 2x1 Gb DDR2 Kingston ( new - about a month or so ) * Not Dual Channel *
Motherboard : Asus P5LD2-X / 1333 ( new - about a month or so )
GPU : Asus ATI Radeon HD2600 XT ( new - about a month or so )
HDD's : 1 x 500 GB Sata II and 1 x 120 Gb IDE ( both WesternDigital ) (Sata II is new - about a month or so )
My Psu : don't think it got a brand name but it is 400 W ATX P4 ( the MB has 24-pin conenctor but the PSU has only 20 )

The weird thing is when i got that new parts .. for a week it worked perfectly .. and someday it didn't :|

Oh and i didn't overclocked nothing .. it's not my thing

I'm waiting for some reply or pm .. thanks alot

Sorry for my bad english !

Take Care !

ok so about a month ago i decided to run the compaq system restore on my pc. ater doing so the drivers for my wireless etehrnet card were not installed and the light on it was off. not sure what I was thinking but i figured maybe it is alcking power and I powered down and flip the volt control switch to the higher setting on the back after having a pc with a damaged power supply that strangely would only operate in the higher settings. anyways after i did this i hit the power button diwn't turn on so i flipped it back and it turned on all fine even the etehrnet card.

about 5 days later my pc hibernated over night as it always does and refused to wake up so i pwoered down. at which point the pc refused to turn. I contacted compaq support they had me run a list removing and reinserting various compionents then proceeded to tell me my motherboard was fried and they could replace it for 260 dollars, I told them to go screw themselves because I only paid 480 for the pc new.

after leaving it off for haklf a day or so I decided to hit the power button and it booted up almost fine. it failed to detect that my 1gb ram stick was inserted and registered my 3 ghz processor as only processing at 900mhz or so and many programs such as aim now fail to work while the system over all still works. however upon power down it refuses to boot and if i leave the power cable plugged in but do not turn it on for half a day or more the pc "may" power up again with the previous problems as stated about the memory and cpu.

This leads me to the theory that all is well in mobo land but that the psu is damaged or malfunctioning. when it fails to boot up after a shutdown it powers on as if normal, quick flash from the hdd indicator green power light green power light on psu it's sefl. however the cpu fan seems to be spinning far faster and lpouder than is normal unless I just fail to notice it spinning that fast every other time and then it just stays like that with no boot screen, no gfx card activation, no mouse lights no keyboard lights exce[pt the ketboard gives a quick flash of all 3 lights as it normally does but then turns off and does not seem to be reciving power.

I am inclined to believe power supply, but do not have a spare power supply of this generation in which to test it with. Someone please propose thoeries or confirm my analysis.

and someone send me a 300 watt powersupply that works in an october 2006 compaq presario sr2020nx please.

and someone send me a 300 watt powersupply that works in an october 2006 compaq presario sr2020nx please.

to funny ,you just want someone to send you a power supply !And!!!

SHADOWTALOS Have you solved your startup problem? I have the same or at least similiar issue. On startup the power supply light is steady green, the 3 lights on the keyboard flash once, the CD/DVD drive lights sequence and then go out, the fans run, the hard drive light is on steady (does not flash or flicker) and all stops there. Nothing on screen, no light in mouse, no boot.

If you solve your issues you may solve mine.

Ron

SHADOWTALOS Have you solved your startup problem? I have the same or at least similiar issue. On startup the power supply light is steady green, the 3 lights on the keyboard flash once, the CD/DVD drive lights sequence and then go out, the fans run, the hard drive light is on steady (does not flash or flicker) and all stops there. Nothing on screen, no light in mouse, no boot.

If you solve your issues you may solve mine.

Ron

open the box,unplug power from the harddrive and cdrom and remove any pci add in cards and see if it will boot ,if it boots ,then replace items removed one at a time to see what one is causing the problem

My computer (laptop) windows HP not booting up, shows ATLDR missing.
asking to re-boot Alt+Ctrl+del.
On going to rom based setup with F10.it is not restoring previous setup... and hang-on.

My computer (laptop) windows HP not booting up, shows ATLDR missing.
On going to rom based setup with F10.it is not restoring previous setup... and hang-on., shows NTLDR missing.
On going to rom based setup with F10.it is not restoring previous setup... and hang-on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.