Ok, I am running into a problem here folks. I bought a ATI Radeon 9200 PCI Bus card for my comp as the guy at staples told me it was one that should work in most older comps. I have a emachines W2646, Intel Celeron 2.6g, onboard Intel 82845 Graphics controller. The ATI manual told me to disable the old video drivers before installing the vid card, so I did that. Then I installed the card, rebooted the system and it cant find the card. Also, my screen was xtremely crappy, as I had disabled the vid drivers. Am at a real loss as to how to tell the machine the new vid card is there. Any suggestion?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Your card should have came with a CD. Put it in and install the drivers for your new card.

I would also recommend you download the latest drivers from ATI's website. Make sure you uninstall the previous drivers (if you do use the CD version) from add/remove programs in control panel.

Thanks for the info so far, but in the book it says I have to disable the onboard graphics on the motherboard. I went to emachines website, and they didnt have the jumper settings for my system (too old methinks). I'm pretty sure I have to change the jumper settings on the motherboard to disable the graphics on there, but I dunno what to change em to. Any ideas?

Have you looked in your system's BIOS (commonly accessed by pressing the del key when prompted)?

No, I haven't, I will try that now,. see what I can find out, thanks Coconut =)

I am having a problem runnin the ati 9200 video card. Keeps conflicting with the dma setting in my multi card reader drivers.

Actually, I am struggling with an ATI card at the moment as well

The number one problem is old drivers getting in the way.
(You dont just have to remove the old ATI drivers you must have the standard display driver installed...)

The number two problem is making sure direct X is in there when you install the ATI drivers.

If you follow the quick install manual as mine says, Check the BIOS, disable the video that is onboard, or other card, I find in the BIOS primary setting is already set for the PCI it appears, then boot but load the driver CD and cancel any new hardware wizard that starts up, run the disc's driver install instead, then reboot I think. The manual is not in front of me and I JUST posted a question about the Radeon 9250 card, so will see soon
BILL

Ok, I am running into a problem here folks. I bought a ATI Radeon 9200 PCI Bus card for my comp as the guy at staples told me it was one that should work in most older comps. I have a emachines W2646, Intel Celeron 2.6g, onboard Intel 82845 Graphics controller. The ATI manual told me to disable the old video drivers before installing the vid card, so I did that. Then I installed the card, rebooted the system and it cant find the card. Also, my screen was xtremely crappy, as I had disabled the vid drivers. Am at a real loss as to how to tell the machine the new vid card is there. Any suggestion?

YOU HAVE TO GO INTO bios AND PUT IN THE PCI INSTEAD OF ONBOARD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.