Hi, im considering buying a iphone 3G and have a couple of questions,

1. I'm based in the uk and i remember reading that the iphone dev team released their unlocking software for the iphone recently, does anyone know the likely hood of a sim card registered on the 3 network in the uk working? (i know there's some issues getting a lot of phones working on the 3 network if they weren't originally on it)

2. Can i use any 3.5mm headphones with it or do i have to use the ones apple provide?

3. can you use the gps feature as a navigation tool (some phones i've seen have gps but you have to pay to use it which is kinda annoying)

4. can i activate it at home or do i need to take it up town to the o2/carphone warehouse store to do so?

any help is greatly appreciated guys

regards

streather

I've been unlocking the 2g's since they came out. I think the 3g's you can use any headset the 2g's had a milled out insert in the aluminum case that you need to use apple's or an adapter to get the plug in the socket. another cool idea is the icombi by oakley lets you use a bluetooth headset for music like the motorola s9 great combo. the gps is free and in combo with google maps gives you drivin directions. you can activate it yourself especially if you are going to unlock it. if you don't care about the gps i would try and find a 2g the 3g sucks battery life quick and I don't like the plastic back. The 2g has triangular positioning which works almost quite as well as the gps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.