Hi there, hope someone can help, I was just wondering WHERE it is possible to get such an adapter (i think they are VGA adapters) as I have mentioned above, one that will at least connect ur monitor to your PS2 so that you can use it as TV. I gather that there are adapters that will allow you to do this AND still have your CPU connected to your monitor at the same time, but I've only seen one online and I'm not sure as to its quality.. so is there anyone with some experience that can advise? What implications will it have (if any) on the screen quality?

Also I think the only other alternative to not getting an adapter is a TV PCI card? Is this strictly true, and can a PS2 be connected to a TV card?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hey Shaft thanks for that. However I also found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuner-Multi-Input-Adapter-PAL/dp/B0009V9DYO

and now I'm slightly confused because I can't tell if they both perform the same kind of function?? :-s Don't know if it matters that the one I found is on Amazon UK, and your link is for the US (I'm in the UK)... so yeah, anymore thoughts please?

dont buy one from the USA or abroad. Buy UK only as thier tellies are not PAL like our ones are

Good point, cheers J (Y)

Well, lol didn't even think to look at your location! My Bad!

Nah it's alright Shaft. Erm anyone know about the PCI Card option? I've got two PCI slots just waiting to be filled...

Not sure where you could get one in the UK, but I used to do that (with an xbox instead) using an all in wonder card. I could play the game in a seperate window on my desktop.

But if you don't want to replace your graphics card, you could get a tv tuner card. Plug the ps2 into the card and you're good to go.

The problem was that it was a bit blurry though, (I had an older 9800 AIW) Dunno if the newer ones would make it look nicer or not.

Ah right K. Yea I was thinking about a TV card, but then don't they have just the one socket against the PS2's 3 plugs (red, white and yellow)? I mean in my experience you may use just two of the three and it'll work just fine, but surely using the one would just be pushing it, no?

yellow = video
red/white = audio (1=mono 2=stereo)

i have a hauppage capture card. I plug the PS2's yellow plug into it and then (using a ps2 adapter i got with an accesory kit) plug in a standard 3.5mm male-male cable and slot that into my pcs linein port

Mmm OK that sounds really good JBennet. Except now it sounds like i'll need BOTH the TV card AND an adapter (as opposed to me just thinking I could use one or the other). Neways gonna wait till I get one or the other, then I'll let u know how it goes...
Cheers tho

yellow = video
red/white = audio (1=mono 2=stereo)

i have a hauppage capture card. I plug the PS2's yellow plug into it and then (using a ps2 adapter i got with an accesory kit) plug in a standard 3.5mm male-male cable and slot that into my pcs linein port

Hi, what software did you use to play the game. Even I have a Hauppage capture card. But the lag between the controls and display is unbearable. Im using the software given along i.e. WinTV2000. Do you have any suggestions?
Please reply to roshan_simon@hotmail.com

Hi, what software did you use to play the game. Even I have a Hauppage capture card. But the lag between the controls and display is unbearable. Im using the software given along i.e. WinTV2000. Do you have any suggestions?
Please reply to roshan_simon@hotmail.com

Hi Roshan, and welcome to Daniweb.

A few housekeeping points first of all

1. Do try to resist the temptation to piggy-back on another thread here, you stand a better chance of getting helped if you open up your own thread with as much info as possible. Also in this particular situation, this thread was last replied to, exactly 2.5 years ago! I've even changed computers in that time! It just makes more sense to use your own thread.

2. I doubt anyone would, and do not recommend anyone (especially Mods) to either leave personal details in forums, or email people personally, except in the forums for business purposes etc. So I doubt jbennet is going to email you if he does get to look at this thread.

Having said all that, I will say this about your problem:

Even though your TV card is old, I reckon the reason for the lag is an old motherboard and therefore an old graphics card that can't handle the PS2.
So my suggestion is upgrade your graphics card (and probably motherboard in the process), upgrade your monitor to an LCD TV/ monitor (which is what I do now, so I don't need to go through my tower), or try another TV card (though I have no suggestons in that area).

All the best.

Hi
First of all. I was trying out everything to reduce the lag, when I popped into your message. So yeah Ill keep the rules in mind.

I just bought my pc 2 months ago. So that means I have among the latest hardware. I just went for a cheap old tv tuner card (Hauppauge). Actually, this is what I figured out. The software they provide with card is outdated, and hasnt been updated in their website.

So I am using VLC, and I get no problems now. I even get a better picture and sound quality.

Nice one for sussing that out, well done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.