I got a lil prob here....i hope this is the correct section to ask this question!!!

okey i hav 4 year old sony vaio which is very gud laptop and very nice one

i want to install a new hard drive in this laptop and i want recover the windows and evrythng to a new hard drive

i knw the 1st thing would be lauching recovery tool from and makin a recovery disk and use it but i lost my old CD and tried to make a new one but i get and error and cannot make any more

i read couple of article and about clonning the hard disk which can help

and came to knw about ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE which can do this

but i am not sure about it can make a clone of my EISA configuration partition which contains all the drivers and OS

i want to use this OS cox i cannot afford to get a new window for now so is it possible to copy all this stuff

CAN acronis true image do this or is there any other option or software which can do this

hope for reply's soon
and thanx in advance :)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi friend,
I know one software which recover all your data in your old hard disk with your os. Use ghost it's solve your problem.

hi joyce sullivan,

thnx for the reply....i read couple of article on HOW TO GHOST YOUR HARD DRIVE most of them goes to sayin Symantec Norton Ghost,Ranish Partition Manager,Partition Magic 8 and Acronis True Image( which seems to be expensive used on companies)

so wat software do you suggest and my question is can it ghost EISA configurations cox tats the main thing i am goin for....i dont mind about extra software they giv but the drivers and OS

hey man. the answer to your question is YES it can, when cloning the hdd it will ask you to select the drives that you want to clone, just make sure that you select all the partitions of the drive and then clone! it will clone all the data as it was on the old drive and you will be able to boot from the new drive with no problems! Just remember that if the partition was damaged by the faulty drive then it will show up on the new drive as well. but other then that you should not have any problems, i use acronis for all my clients cloning needs and i use it for my personal pcs as well.

thnx alot man, this would save me from buyin a new OS...tat wud save me alot of money, enuf money to spend on gud games :)

thnx alot man, this would save me from buyin a new OS...tat wud save me alot of money, enuf money to spend on gud games :)

no problem man! a nother thing to remember is that if your laptop has a microsoft sticker on the bottom of it,then that means that you have the license and that you never have to bye another one again! so if the recovery partition does not work then all you need to do is get a Xp cd and install it!(use sp2 or sp3) and then just activate the windows either over the net or the phone!

thnx for the additional info......but can we really do the activation like tat cox i do really hav the sticker in the bottom with my original keys and i did activate it b4....will i b able to activate more than once..this is really gud thing if it works

thnx for the additional info......but can we really do the activation like tat cox i do really hav the sticker in the bottom with my original keys and i did activate it b4....will i b able to activate more than once..this is really gud thing if it works

yes you can! if it does not want to activate online then you can phone Microsoft and activate it, they will ask you why do you want to activate it again,just tell them that it is because of hardware failure. you are having any problem then just let me know!

thnx alot man....i will be buyin my new hard disk this week. hope fully evrythng will work out...firstly i will tryin to clone it and if it works then i will not need to activate anythng if this does not go well( may be my old hard disk some probs) i will try for my keys and actiavte it..

but one more and last question.. wat kinda windows will work, i mean like a pirated version or i should need to borrow an original windows from a friend and try using my key

once again thank you very much :)

yes you will need to get an original disk, any disk like with sp2 will work.just make sure that it is the same OS as the sticker (pro or home) and then it will work.

sorry for late reply...thank you very much...i guess my probs will b solved easily as i got an original windows xp pro sp2 cd from a gud friend...i baught my hard disk and will b tryin to solve my prob asap..if anythng goes wrong i will reply to this topic...thanx loki_ i hav given rep points also for you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.