My old Dell PC, now defunct, has a Hard Drive with the following description: 60GB,7200RPM Hitachi,VAN2

I want to purchase a new Compaq Presario SR5710F Desktop Computer With AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor 4450e+ .

If I use a data transfer cable, will I be able to transfer files from my old HD to the new one?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

do you mean by setting up a peer to peer network between the 2 laptops? well yes this would work if you can still boot into windows, but if this is not possible the no you will not be able to, you will need to place the old hdd into a usb2.0 portable casing wich will convert the ide/sata to a usb drive,this will then allow you to copy all the data to your new laptop and you will also have a new portable drive for all your back/data transfer needs!

do you mean by setting up a peer to peer network between the 2 laptops? well yes this would work if you can still boot into windows, but if this is not possible the no you will not be able to, you will need to place the old hdd into a usb2.0 portable casing wich will convert the ide/sata to a usb drive,this will then allow you to copy all the data to your new laptop and you will also have a new portable drive for all your back/data transfer needs!

Thanks for your advice. I ended up solving the problem yesterday; here's what I did, in case it helps someone:
I was actually dealing with a desktop rather than a laptop. I did encounter the problem of ide-usb compatibility - but I found that on my new computer's motherboard there was still a socket for an old-fashioned pin connection. I took the old HD and connected it there, and tried to attach it as a slave drive to the system.
It worked, with one problem - the old HD ran XP, and the system tried to boot that XP, and could not. So I started in Safe Mode, copied all the data I needed on to the new HD, then disconnected the old one. If I ever need it again, I'll be able to do the same hookup.
Thanks!

lol oh ok, i missed the desktop past! would of made it a lot easier to help you then hehe! as long as it worked then all is good!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.