:confused: hi all,

my computer gets way too hot when playin games or anything else tht uses a substantial amount of processor power, so ive decided to buy an extra fan for my case, mabe even 2 extra fans.

i want to have it on the back of the case on 1 of the spaces reserved for a fan addition and i have found what looks near enough like wot i need, but one thing troubles me,
what plug will it go into for its power?, i mean it will (i think) go into the standard power cable for devices such as the CD drive and harddrives etc.. but will it go in to a plug on the motherboard? my motherboard is asus A7N8X-X
im pretty sure this fan will do the trick but i wanna be certain.

what do u think? here is the link to it:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=130261

Thanks for reading etc

Danniboy. :D

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

As far as I can tell, that fan will not plug into most computer systems due to the 2 pin connector it uses. If you'll scroll down that page, you'll find a solution to the problem.

Alternatively, you could buy a 3 pin fan which will plug into your motherboard (make sure you have a spare 3 pin connector - check your motherboard manual for the locations).

Some fans come with a molex adaptor so you can just use one of the molex connectors from your power supply.

Normally the power cable like the one that goes to your hard drive does the job for you ... and if it has been a long time you didnt open the processor ... take some glue ( specific .. you should ask a computer shop for this glue) and place it in between the processor and the sink .. it'll solve your problem greatly.

Whoa! Some clarification needed here.

Normally the power cable like the one that goes to your hard drive does the job for you

As I said, the fan linked does not have this type of connection, nor does it come with an adaptor.

... and if it has been a long time you didnt open the processor

Take the heatsink off the CPU you mean?

... take some glue ( specific .. you should ask a computer shop for this glue)

The "glue" is thermal paste, designed to provide a means for transferring heat between the uneven metal surfaces of the CPU and heatsink base. Do not use thermal adhesive - it's not as efficient and could be a problem should you ever need to replace the heatsink or CPU!

and place it in between the processor and the sink .. it'll solve your problem greatly.

Replacing the thermal paste every now and then can help temperatures, but you need to make sure you remove the old stuff beforehand. This guide tells you how (it applies to all thermal pastes).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.