Hi I need some help figuring out the specifics to adding a second harddrive or at least geting a larger one.I am unsure though of I what I would need as I am not too experienced.Things like the max size my os would recognize etc...

Here are my PC specs
http://www.mezzy.com/cgi-bin/nph-paidmember.cgi/111010A/http/www.shopping.com/xPF-Intel_Intel_5008US_Celeron_Processor
http://www.mezzy.com/cgi-bin/nph-paidmember.cgi/111010A/http/www.epinions.com/S0619650-Presario_5008US/display_~full_specs
http://www.mezzy.com/cgi-bin/nph-paidmember.cgi/111010A/http/h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00009344

Recommended Answers

All 55 Replies

Hello plehsdeen.

Ok on the compaq page they say this

• Two drive bays open for expansion

So you should be OK just adding another drive, as for size, what size are you thinking of?

I don't think your OS will be a limiting factor (unless we're talking MASSIVE) your BIOS will most likely be the cause of any limit.

posting a question to Compaq would probably be your best bet regarding that.

Connecting should be a walk in the park, especially if you use it as a secondary disk drive.

Things you should check for.

• Two drive bays open for expansion (are they only for CD drives?)

Check around the floppy and existing HDD to see if there is any space for one, if you have to use a CD sized bay, then your going to need some long stand-offs or brackets to hold the drive, both should be fairly easy to find.

Check that your power supply has a spare 4 pin connector

Check your IDE cable for the existing drive to see if it has a spare connector on it, to connect the new drive to.

You can buy different IDE cables if you need one (with the extra port) but most IDE cable have the connectors for 2 drives as standard. You can also buy splitters for the 4 pin connector from your power supply.

Assuming a worse case, you will need brackets, IDE cable and power splitter, total price of about £5-10 at the max (on top of your drive)

Think all of the above may be a little too much info, or you are already prepared for that, the key question is the max size the OS can deal with, I couldn't find any restrictions on the web (quick search) the only restrictions I was aware of where relating to BIOS, as I suggested earlier, your best bet on getting actual info is to go to Compaq, fire off an email, and wait for them to get back to you (If you email them with the size disk you are looking at, they should be able to give you a straight yes or no)

I would guess that you could get a PATA drive up to about 200Gb without too much trouble

Hopefully one of the other members at daniweb has stuck a huge drive in one of these machines, and will be able to give you a definative answer.

SE

Hi I need some help figuring out the specifics to adding a second harddrive or at least geting a larger one.I am unsure though of I what I would need as I am not too experienced.Things like the max size my os would recognize etc...

Here are my PC specs
http://www.mezzy.com/cgi-bin/nph-paidmember.cgi/111010A/http/www.shopping.com/xPF-Intel_Intel_5008US_Celeron_Processor
http://www.mezzy.com/cgi-bin/nph-paidmember.cgi/111010A/http/www.epinions.com/S0619650-Presario_5008US/display_~full_specs
http://www.mezzy.com/cgi-bin/nph-paidmember.cgi/111010A/http/h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00009344

Thanks for the reply I emailed Compaq and this is what I got

I understand that you wish to have information for upgrading hard drive
in your Presario 5008US. Also, you have some questions.

I would like to answer according to your questions in order.

1. You can install a 40 GB Hard drive.
2. Two expansion bays are available fo mount the hard drive.
3. The power supply has additional 4 pin connector.
4. You need to purchase IDE cable to fix this hard drive.

What should I do now?

Also got this

I see that you need information on upgrading hard drive in the system.
The system is equipped with 40 GB hard drive, therefore you can install
only 20GB hard drive in addition to the present hard drive capacity,as
the maximum capacity supported is 60GB.

I am not sure if this is a typical response, i.e. try to just get the customer to buy whole computer... Or if this a limit in your BIOS, Windows ME is not limited to 60Gb HDD's.

I don't know what to recommend, they may be telling you a fact based on your BIOS (which I obviously don't know anything about)

You processor - celeron 800, kit for that would be fairly cheap now from somewhere like Ebay. I think I would buy the HDD that I wanted as a second (or as a replacement (what ever you want to do really) hook it up and see if it works, if it doesn't, then I would splash another what £15 inc postage for a second hand board from ebay, I know £15 is money you don't wnat to spen on top of HDD, but choices are limited.

The case looks fairly average, I would guess you could get away with adding a standard board to that case without too much problem, and just in case, see a board you like get the tape measure out to get size of your board, and then email the seller and ask them the size of the board they are selling.

Ultimately I would guess that it is just a fairly standard Compaq response, one they used when they where selling the machines - they just want you to buy a new one...
I think I would buy the HDD, and see if it works, if not buy a new board as well.

Just what I would do

SE

That's a disgusting response from Compaq. Even if there is a BIOS limitation at around the 60Gb mark, it doesn't work by 'adding up' the total capacity of all the drives in your system! A BIOS limitation is the maximum size for any one drive. Compaq's (HPs) advice is an utter nonsense!

Thanks for the reply you guys

So I guess I should just buy a hardrive hook it up and if it doesn't work then I'll have to buy a used motherboard from somewhere that will recognize it. If I may ask another question? Could I possibly buy a drive and make it into an external USB one?[If so how]

You do that by fitting it into a USB external drive caddy. It's quite a simple task, and they're not excessively expensive. (About the cost of a drive itself, or a little less.

Thanks for that reply Catweazle

Oh if I may also ask do I need to do anything so the external drive doesn't have to reboot everytime I plug it in and take it out.[Like if its possibble to boot up and then later plug it in to add some files then unplug it]Also how exactly does this external drive work do I have to install any software? Can I save work straight to the drive or do I have save to my internal one and then copy it over to the external?

Connected via USB (or Firewire) it should be hot-swappable. Like a big memory stick, really :)

Thanks again for the reply
Should I buy the parts for the external drive at a local retailer or should I buy it online?[if this options the better choice then any recommendations for sites to buy from or what drive and caddy is the best to pick up]

I think local retailers are an expensive way to purchase components, but I can't advise you where to purchase. Any drive caddy which allows for USB 2.0 and/or Firewire would be suitable. Choose what your system has available to use.

Let us know what part of the world you live in, and I'm sure someone will advise about good online stores to check. I suspect my own favourite Australian ones might not be too appealing to you ;)

I think local retailers are an expensive way to purchase components, but I can't advise you where to purchase. Any drive caddy which allows for USB 2.0 and/or Firewire would be suitable. Choose what your system has available to use.

Yeah I was thinking that a local store would be more expensive but might be less of a hassle if anythings goes wrong.[Best Buy etc...]They do make caddys for regular USB rather then 2.0 right?[as most things I see always say 2.0 and don't say if they don't work with just USB] I am in the US also if thats of any help to somebody.

Yes, they work with plain old USB, but be warned, they are painfully slow when used with that transfer standard.

USB 2.0 or Firewire add-in cards are also rather inexpensive if you shop around.

Could you please tell me how slow regular USB actually is? My main use would be storing large divx files and pulling them back to the main drive for later viewing and storing some important info.[As I think it would be better to hide this info from the regular drive or is that wrong]

Unworkably slow, I'd consider. USB 2 data transfer rate is 480 megabits per second, while USB 1 provides only 12 megabits per second.

Wow its that slow![and I use it for my broadband too] Is it even possibble to install to 2.0 and how exactly do I do that?

If your system only provides USB 1.0 or USB 1.1, you would need to add a USB 2.0 controller card to the system. Prices for those start from around $AU25.

It won't effect your broadband, by the way. Broadband currently isn't quick enough to be effected.

I seem to have found a pretty good drive its a western digital 120GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive 3.5" Form Factor IDE ULTRA ATA100 Interface 8MB Buffer all for $50 now I just need to find a caddy and 2.0 card.

If you get that IDE hard drive, simply install it internally. If the full 120Gb is not recognised by BIOS, you can use the utility software available from Western Digital's website to install it, and thus use the full drive capacity.

Edit: I'm buggered if I understand why I didn't suggest that to start with. Sorry about that. I must be far too busy lately :sad:

Hey don't worry about not directing me to use an internal drive first.My BIOs aparently can't recognize anything over 60GB and I'd assume its better to keep all important info away from the main drive just to be safe.You've helped me alot so far :)

Don't be assuming that. Add the new drive as 'Slave', and if the full capacity isn't recognised, then use the installation software to set it up.

I consider that second email message you received to be complete and utter bullshit!

Ah so the email was complete and utter bullshit and none of it was true.Can you give me directions on how to set it as slave?Also where to get installation software?[Or does it just come with the drive]

What I said was that I consider the second email was incorrect. That was my opinion. It is possible that I'm incorrect. :D

I don't think I am though. To set the drive as Slave, change the jumper setting on the frive to the 'Slave' position. There should be a diagram on the drive's label, and you'll find the jumpers between the power cable socket and the data cable socket. Attach the drive to the middle connector on the drive data cable. The main drive should have its jumper set to 'master' and be attached to the end connector on the data cable.

In BIOS setup, both IDE channels should be enabled.

The Software mentioned is downloadable from Western Digital's website. Get Data Lifeguard Tools fron here:
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=4&swid=1

Removing and switching the main drive to master will not affect anything correct.Should I switch the BIOs before or after I install the slave? And if you could give instructions on how to get to them and exit.[or is that easy]

Regarding the PCI card for USB 2.0 do I just have to buy it and slip it in one of the free slots next to my dial up modem and ethernet card or do I have to hook it anywhere else. How much should a solid caddy cost?[just wanted to know your opinion. thanks!]

BIOS changes are easy. This article has instructions for accessing BIOS setup on just about any system. Most, however, simply require you to press <Delete> when you power up.

Different BIOSes have things in different places. Have a look through the menus and you'll find the entries for your IDE channels. The correct ones will offer a choice between 'Enabled' and 'Disabled'. Remember to save and Exit when you've made any necessary changes, and don't change any values you don't need to. Look, by all means, but ensure the settings are as before when you finish.

Thanks for the answer Catweazle but it seems that I don't have to change the BIOs as the new drive is already recognized as slave.Just installed the drive as file storage and almost all of it is shown but the only way to do anything with it is drive-to-drive data copy.Is this all there is to it?

the only way to do anything with it is drive-to-drive data copy.Is this all there is to it?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What is it you are trying to do?

The drive came with a cd that has data lifeguard tools and drive-to-drive data copy is what I have to use to move files from master to slave.It seems that I can only move files inside folders rather than 1 file at a time.[drag and drop]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.