So I tried plugging in my AC Adaptor for my Compaq Presario C762NR Laptop, but it immediately shut off the laptop. Pushing the power button gets me no response. The AC Adaptor is working fine (Tested it on a different laptop), so it's apparently not the problem.

Can someone help me?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

hi,try removing the battery,just use the power cord,happens to mine sometimes if the battery is stone dead

Tried that. Still nothing.

if the adapter shut off laptop then i suspect [shorted it out ]bad adapter, or power jack

I already tried using a different working AC Adaptor with it and it still didn't work.

Probably is the power jack. Know how I would go about fixing it?

I already tried using a different working AC Adaptor with it and it still didn't work.

Probably is the power jack. Know how I would go about fixing it?

I will assume that because you don't know how to fix it by looking at it ,that you should take it to a computer repair shop !
It may not even be the power jack ,it could be a number of things,processor ,motherboard ,ram,
when you plugged it in,did you plug it into the laptop first and then into the wall socked ,or wall socket first and then the laptop ,may have shorted out the motherboard ,im just guessing!

Well, I plugged the AC Adaptor into the wall and then plugged it in to my computer. It was working alright at first, until I apparently moved the end of the cable that was attached to the computer. Everything just shut off from there.

I assumed my computer just shorted out, but I'm not so sure.

It was working alright at first, until I apparently moved the end of the cable that was attached to the computer. .

that sounds like the power jack broke/ or broke its solder joining it to the motherboard ,
either a new power jack or re-solder that one if its not broke!
either way its needs someone with know how to fix it !

If I took it to Electronic Fry's or some store similar to that, would they be able to do the job?

Not that many computer repair shops where I live.

If I took it to Electronic Fry's or some store similar to that, would they be able to do the job?

Not that many computer repair shops where I live.

not sure,only if they know how ,taking the laptop apart correctly is the big part of the job

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.