Hi guys! So I'm looking into upgrading my RAM from 1GB to 2GB of RAM.

I went to the crucial.com and scanned my system using their scanner. When that came back with a message saying they couldn't recognise my system properly to give me a good advise, I sent one of their techs an email asking for what kind of RAM would work with my existing module...

They came back with the following advise:

1GB 667MHz Non-ECC DDR2 - DIMM PC2-5300

Which I thought would be ok... But just in case I opened up my pc and checked the sticker on the module already in my pc, and that said:

1GB 444MHz Non-ECC PC2-4200

So I was kind of worried whether or not the two modules, with different Mhz speeds and the one being 5300, and the other 4200, would cooperate. Should I be looking for another 444MHz PC2-4200 module?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Blooner

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

It would be best to have modules of the same speed.
"mixed modules" can cause errors or may not function.

It would be best to have modules of the same speed.
"mixed modules" can cause errors or may not function.

Ok... So, is there any significant increase in performance if I buy two of the 667MHz and replace the 444MHz, or could I just as well just buy 1 more 444MHz and save me some money?

Ok... So, is there any significant increase in performance if I buy two of the 667MHz and replace the 444MHz, or could I just as well just buy 1 more 444MHz and save me some money?

sure there would be an increase in performance ,the price difference will be little or none !.but you do have to make sure that the board takes the 667

Thank you both for your quick responses and great answers, yet I have one more question: How would I go about finding out whether or not my motherboard is compatible with the 667 ones?

Thank you both for your quick responses and great answers, yet I have one more question: How would I go about finding out whether or not my motherboard is compatible with the 667 ones?

usually by going to the web site of the board maker ,if you know the make and model # post it here and we could help you look for that info

So here is all the info I could find on my motherboard...

Motherboard specs:
http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=motherboardqn7.jpg

The Hewlett website here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00590356

says this:

* Single-channel memory architecture
* 2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 400/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules
* Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB

So that would mean 444Mhz up to 533Mhz only right?

Yes -they should be.

So I already started looking around for RAM up to 533Mhz and I found this one:

Kingston Memory/ValueRam 1GB 533MHz DDR2 non ECC CL4
Productcode: KVR533D2N4/1G

If I buy 2 of these, will these be compatible with my system?

More info (in dutch, but understandable): http://www.techdepot.nl/ArtikelDetails.aspx?ArticleCode=KVR533D2N4-1G&Source=Vergelijk

Thanks in advance for any help!

correct ,but if money is an issue,and you already have 1 gig of 400, ,i would go with the 400mhz as i wouldn't notice the difference between the two!,now from 400 to 667 you would have noticed a difference

Ok, I'll keep that in mind! Thank you both for your help!

your welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.