Quick story...

Old computer died so I bought a new one. I would like some of the information from the old hard drive put on the new one. Is it possible to just set the old hard drive as slave, hook up the hardware, and be able to access it? The old harddrive has Win95, and my current computer Win XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Quick story...

Old computer died so I bought a new one. I would like some of the information from the old hard drive put on the new one. Is it possible to just set the old hard drive as slave, hook up the hardware, and be able to access it? The old harddrive has Win95, and my current computer Win XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can should be able to just hook it up as a slave. When you boot up go into the bios to see if the system sees the drive automatically. Once you boot up it will take a logical drive (probably D:) for the old hard drive you just installed and all your CD/DVD drives will probably lower a letter.

Once that is done, it should be easily navigated to find the files that I want to extract? Simply would be like opening another folder with many folders inside?

Yes. It will act just as a hard drive as a did before, it will just be the "D" drive instead of the "C" drive. Cut/copy/past as normal.

And I shouldn't have any problem with startup as long as it reads the Win XP drive first for the OS.

Yes. No problems with startup as long as long as the old drive is slave and the C remains the master.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.