I am thinking about getting a DVD ROM. Could you tell me what "Dual Layer technology" is and whether I need special discs for it?

__----------------_______________----------------_________--------

Micro Advantage 16x Dual Format DVD+/-R/RW Drive

16x DVD writer supports both + and - standard format

Backup your data, share films, record music

Store up to 8.5 GBs of content with Dual Layer technology on one DVD disk

Compatible with virtually all DVD video players and DVD-ROM drives

2MB data buffer

Includes Nero 6 CD/DVD Recording Suite software

Rewrite speed: 4X (DVD) or 32X (CD)

Write speed: 16X (DVD) 8x(DVD+R Dual Format Mode) or 48X (CD)

Read speed: 16x (DVD) 8x DVD Dual Format Mode) or 48X (CD)

For great deals on DVD media Click Here!
More Info

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It's a fairly new home recording standard for DVD discs (it's been around on movie DVDs for ages though). As you can see from the description, it allows for the storage of around 8Gb worth of data (compared to the 4.7Gb of single layer discs), and yes, you need a supported drive with special dual layer discs (which cost a fair bit).

I recommend the latest drives from either Pioneer (DVR-109) or NEC (ND-3520A).

It is just where you can record data on both sides of the Disc, and yes it is a special disk, and I want to say I say them at best buy for 15 bucks for 3 of them, but I am nto sure about that one.

It is just where you can record data on both sides of the Disc, and yes it is a special disk, and I want to say I say them at best buy for 15 bucks for 3 of them, but I am nto sure about that one.

Those are dual-sided discs jfountain, not dual-layer discs. ;)

Far better value for now though. :-|

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.