I'm going to buy a PC in a couple of weeks and I'll most probably be using it for 3-4 years. I don't know whether to choose a Core 2 Duo with a speed of 3.0 GHz or a Quad which runs at 2.4 GHz. I'm uncertain because I understand that many of the applications available today aren't built to use the 4 available cores ,so I though that buying a Core 2 Duo running at a higher speed would be better comparing the costs of the Quad and the Duo.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Depending on the price difference I would go for the Quad. Duo approx. 3+3 = 6 wheras Quad 2.4+2.4+2.4+2.4 = 7.2. Applications maybe improved to utilise quad core more and if it where me i would be thinking, maybe if i got that quad core it would have been just that bit faster. But depending on what you are doing you may only need a duo.

Don't forget windows 7 RC is out. That maybe the OS you end up upgrading to.

For me I rather have faster CPU speed at a lower cost. Most apps just do not use 4 cpu's and those that do or will will be limited and specialized. But if you have the bucks than go for the quad they are the wave of the future of CPU processing.

Thanks.. I think i'll go with the quad.

another thing to be aware of is the full capbilities of the motherboard you have chosen. not specifically in the sense that it needs to be quad compatible, but more that the quad might pump out more performance than your motherboard can keep up with. i personally dont have very much spending money, so i try to get the most for my money, and a strong / reasonably priced motherboard with a powerful duo was the way i chose to go just recently when i built my desktop. im happy with what i spent / what i got. right now duos are just much more affordable, and if you're going to upgrade again in 3-4 years, quads should be more "in use" and affordable then.
just food for thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.