Hi everybody.
I have a problem and I need some suggestions.

A few weeks ago, my monitor suddenly turned off on its own. Then I shut down my computer and switched it on again, and after 5 minutes the monitor turned off again. This happened several times in a row.
Some hours later I turned on the computer and it was working OK.
But recently when I turn the computer on, the monitor periodically switches on/off for several times before it "stabilizes". The little green light the monitor has also switches on/off.

What do you think is the problem? Do I need to buy a new monitor?
If it helps, I have a ViewSonic VE710s.

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I had a similar problem with two different monitors..

One would 'flick on and off' when I was scrolling a web page and sometimes shut down until I did numerous on/off power button pushes then it would finally light back up but to the 'flick on/off' thing again..

I switched to a slightly newer monitor and got only the occasional 'flick on/off' but no shut down.

I checked Everest under 'display' and found a warning re: refresh rate usually being at least 85 megahertz for a classic CRT. On checking I found mine was set at 65.. I changed to 85 and the problem seems to have disappeared.

On further reflection I remembered loading some older DOS type games and wondered if this was the reason my refresh rate was changed..

^^^
Edit .
Scrap that. My monitor has just started the old 'flick on/off' again..:(

Hi everybody.
I have a problem and I need some suggestions.

A few weeks ago, my monitor suddenly turned off on its own. Then I shut down my computer and switched it on again, and after 5 minutes the monitor turned off again. This happened several times in a row.
Some hours later I turned on the computer and it was working OK.
But recently when I turn the computer on, the monitor periodically switches on/off for several times before it "stabilizes". The little green light the monitor has also switches on/off.

What do you think is the problem? Do I need to buy a new monitor?
If it helps, I have a ViewSonic VE710s.

Thank you

I'm assuming that power actually goes off and this is not an error code blinking on the power LED. On that assumption, logically it should be one of three potential causes:

1. The power section of the monitor is intermittent/faulty

2. The incoming power connector is insecure (that's prolly the first thing you looked at)

3. The power main plug/socket is faulty or the power cable is kinked.

The first thing I would do is borrow or use another monitor and lead and power lead to see what happens.

Thanks for the replies but I have already bought a new monitor and is working fine

Great. Then you'll be marking this thread as SOLVED!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.